please help me..

turbocayenne

Reaction score
ok, last week i cleaned up my dryflow filter and i let it dry. but the day after i cleaned it the CEL was on so i brought my car today to my mechanic. He said it's the cat. from what i heard, it is a common problem in the 1998 accord. my mechanic also said it is caused by aftermarket intake and i can't replace the cat with used cat. i have to replace it with brand new cat which is $1600 :eek: .i've read even though you replace the cat with brand new cat, after few months it will on again. My car is milleage is 147,000 and i made the mechanic reset the ecu so the CEL turned off. what should i do is the CEL turn on again???

shavedaccord

Reaction score
what in the hell..your cat is NOT $1,600..your mechanic is trying to take you for a ride..Just get a Magnaflow or Bosal replacement cat..or get a high flow..cats are around $100-$200..install shouldn't be but like $50 if that

shavedaccord

Reaction score
matter of fact honda lists it for $441 so yeah get a new mechanic he's trying to rape you for money.

shavedaccord

Reaction score
find out what code you are throwing..the mechanic is already trying to steal $1,600 from you..it might not even be your cat..take the car to autozone and have them pull the code..

Jeffro

Reaction score
shavedaccord said:
find out what code you are throwing..the mechanic is already trying to steal $1,600 from you..it might not even be your cat..take the car to autozone and have them pull the code..

Or get the code yourself... It's not that hard... :)

angelplus

Reaction score
Yeah, I wouldn't go back to that mechanic if I were you. Hes deffinently raping you for money. Thats just total bull****.

talonted1990

Reaction score
Welcome to my world. I will bet it is the 0420 code which is the catalyst below threshold. I bought a high flow cat and was ready to buy a header and install them both but my light went out and I got my car inspected. On the way home the same day the light came back on so I left it alone again, light went back off. I am going to install my cat and a header and run a O2 simulator.

Browntown

Reaction score
$1600!!? Holy crap!!! That mechanic is trying get some bills paid.... what a f*ckin dickhead! Just buy a new one from the dealership or online and have your local muffler shop install it for around $50. Screw that guy.

demon5spd

Reaction score
Your mechanic is one hell of a rip off, im a technician at penske honda and even though were a dealership the book say's that a brand new honda cat is $445 and 1.0hr labor + .5hrs if the bolts are rusted bad so your're looking around $520.

Your best bet is to just go get a aftermarket one, even if you went with the top of the line high flow cat it will still be less then $400

Back