My MR2 Slow Build

LoSt GhoSt

Reaction score
EDIT: If things don't make much sense, its because I am coping and pasting this from another forum. lol

Alright guys,

So to start off. I will state the pros and the cons to my car.

PROS:

* Very Solid Body
* Nice stiff suspension. (Compared to my 86 that would ride like a cadi )
* Baby Rear speakers. (I will grind some material off to put in slightly bigger speakers.) (Done)
* Almost everything is functional... Almost.
* Base model. No power nothing. (Good for light weight)
* Has a lip (Needs a bit of work and repair)
* Nice rims. (I will work with these)

CONS:

* The wire harness has been tampered with. (Makes me feel uneasy about having an electrical fire. Every time I turn the car off after a while of driving, it smells funny.) (Fixed)
* Fans are always on. Both rad fan and engine compartment fan. (Fixed)
* Temp sensor missing (Fixed)
* Steering wheel has some wiggle. (Fixed)
* Rotors are slightly warped. (Replaced)
* Headlight motors sound like there going out. (There good)
* Cigarette lighter has a bad ground somewhere. When I connect my phone charger, my speakers start to whine.
* Carpet is bad, with holes on the driver side. (Fixed)
* Motor leaks oil from some where by the timing belt. (Motor Replaced)
* Motor bogs out slightly after 4K rpm. (Motor Replaced)

Plans

* Fix everything that is a con.
* Respray. (Paint is fading)
* Paint my wheels gold with a polished lip.
* Give it a drop

Alright, since I lost my camera. All the pictures will be taken from my phone. So please forgive me for the bad images.

When I first got it.

imagejpeg_2_2.jpg

CIMG0040.jpg

Seeing as how bad the MR was leaking oil. I couldn't wait till Friday to do the engine swap as planned. So today I started taking off the motor off of the black one with my dads help.

CIMG0043.jpg

CIMG0046.jpg

CIMG0048.jpg

CIMG0049.jpg

CIMG0050.jpg

CIMG0051.jpg

Well, it took us the whole day to take it off lol

Anyways, after a long tiring day. We started looking at the motor from the red car. After checking that the car had a little more oil then needed. We drained some of it. And when what noticed was that, the oil was really thick and black.

So, since I was going to have to wait a few more days to continue the swap. I decided to do an oil change. I'm guessing the owner before me stopped taking care of it after while because you can easly tell, the oil had not been changed for a LONG time.

I changed the oil and realized that one of the TVIS vacuum hoses was not connected to the diaphragm. Plugged that right in and the car worked almost flawlessly except after 4K rpm.

Great!!!! For now, Ill put the swap on hold and take care of the other things that need taken care of. Gotta tell you. Removing that engine from the bottom is a PAIN IN THE ***!!!

CIMG0052.jpg

CIMG0055.jpg

Last edited:

LoSt GhoSt

Reaction score
Dseries member came over and helped me out a bit. We took off my wheels and put my old ones back on.

DSCF7659.jpg

DSCF7661.jpg

DSCF7667.jpg

DSCF7668.jpg

DSCF7671.jpg

DSCF7675.jpg

DSCF7678.jpg

All the wheels turned out great. With only one being slightly bent and its the one with some curb rash.

Well, on my next day off. I decided to address my steering and vibration problems.

I went to the black MR2 and took off the steering assembly.

DSCF7684.jpg

DSCF7692.jpg

DSCF7695.jpg

Took me a while and a couple of cuts here and there with a smack to the forehead that left me a cut from my eye brow to the hair line (going up and down on my forehead) lol

DSCF7697.jpg

My bro helping me out.

DSCF7698.jpg

DSCF7705.jpg

Drove it home and man what a difference. No more shaking when I hit the brake. Just smooth breaking :D

LoSt GhoSt

Reaction score
Went hone and took off my steering assembly

DSCF7708.jpg

And this is the reason why there was so much play on the steering wheel other then the fact that the only reason the whole thing was holding on to the rack n pinion was by pressure because who ever worked on the car before did a ****ty job. Glad it never gave out on those hard turns I would take.

DSCF7712.jpg

DSCF7714.jpg

This is how it should look. To bad I never took a pic of how the other guy had it.
DSCF7722.jpg

DSCF7723.jpg

Ok this is what I did yesterday.

DSCF7727.jpg

DSCF7729.jpg

Took off the roof cover and two bolts fell off. Wonder where they go.

DSCF7740.jpg

DSCF7735.jpg

DSCF7739.jpg

Ok so the first thing I did was replace my rear speakers. It still had its original speaks. Think they were 2.5" 5W 8ohms and I replaced them with some Kenwood 3" 90W 4ohms speakers.

DSCF7742.jpg

LoSt GhoSt

Reaction score
Marked everything down and started cutting away on the sheet metal... With wires cutters. Yea... I wont be doing that again lol

DSCF7744.jpg

My first attempt to solder

DSCF7748.jpg

DSCF7753.jpg

DSCF7756.jpg

DSCF7745.jpg

DSCF7759.jpg

And finally my carpet. It looks so much better. Sorry about the crappy pics, it was getting dark and my cam sucks taking pics with low light.

DSCF7764.jpg

DSCF7765.jpg

CIMG0100.jpg

How the speed sense was holding on to the tranny lol

CIMG0104.jpg

Wondered why my cruise control didn't work.

CIMG0105.jpg

CIMG0110.jpg

Lots of gunk on my control arm.

CIMG0114.jpg

CIMG0118.jpg

CIMG0119.jpg

Intake in my trunk lol

CIMG0120.jpg

CIMG0122.jpg

CIMG0124.jpg

CIMG0125.jpg

CIMG0126.jpg

Engine OUT!!! What a pain taking it out by myself.

CIMG0129.jpg

FWD MR2:bigok:

CIMG0130.jpg

That was it for the night. Put the engine to sleep in its new place.

CIMG0135.jpg

LoSt GhoSt

Reaction score
CIMG0138.jpg

CIMG0142.jpg

CIMG0143.jpg

Little bit of cleaning..

CIMG0147.jpg

BAM!!!!

CIMG0151.jpg

We got everything on there and realized that the 86 engine harness was not gonna work without some modification to the MRs firewall.

87 Firewall

Untitled-1.jpg

86 Firewall

Untitled-2.jpg

Ill take a picture next time so you guys have a clear view of what I'm talking about. But my solution to this is just make another hole on the firewall that will allow my 86 harness to go into the trunk.

And another thing. Ill have to replace some of my coolant lines. I guess the car has never had its coolant changed or something because there was mad rust in the lines.

This is the 86 3rd firewall

CIMG0072.jpg

and this is the 87 firewall

CIMG0073.jpg

So what I did was, I went to home depot and got me a 2" round saw. Marked the center and made the hole.

CIMG0076.jpg

CIMG0078.jpg

Inside the ebay

CIMG0079.jpg

Trunk shot.

CIMG0082.jpg

I think it looks stock so guess that means I did a pretty good job lol.

LoSt GhoSt

Reaction score
Anyways, this is the pic of the engine in it.

CIMG0086.jpg

Didn't get it running the that night. I started it. It stayed on for a few seconds but with a very erratic idle. And then it shut off.

I checked to see what was wrong and saw my manifold had a pretty large puddle of gas on it. SO I had a major leak.

Also, I was leaking a whole lot of water. Decided to leave it at that. Came back on Sunday and fixed the fuel leak and clamped two coolant lines that I had forgotten to clamp and BAM! Problems fixed.

EDIT:

Also, I forgot to mention that I did not connect my AFM and the TPS that night... Main reason why it shut off... I was tired is my excuse. lol

Ok. So today, all I did was clean, paint and re assemble the interior.

Ended up painting the steering wheel metallic black a few weeks ago.

DSCF7793.jpg

DSCF7794.jpg

And the bolts today.

DSCF7786.jpg

DSCF7789.jpg

DSCF7797.jpg

DSCF7769.jpg

DSCF7772.jpg

DSCF7773.jpg

DSCF7776.jpg

Most of the interior was baked from the sun.

DSCF7778.jpg

DSCF7779.jpg

So with some bulldog and black paint...

DSCF7781.jpg

DSCF7783.jpg

LoSt GhoSt

Reaction score
Took care of the leaking roof as well. Now don't laught but I used window caulk lol

DSCF7799.jpg

Excessive glue in the way.

DSCF7800.jpg

DSCF7802.jpg

We'll see if it hold well lol

DSCF7804.jpg

DSCF7809.jpg

DSCF7811.jpg

Reason I used it on this as well is because I really don't know if Toyota even makes the gasket for that piece anymore so I had to improvise lol

And... Last but not least.

Finish pictures.

Roof looking sexy in all black.

DSCF7812.jpg

DSCF7831.jpg

DSCF7832.jpg

(Pics taken before Armor All and vacuuming. It was to dark to take pics)

Also, man. I saw this huge as bug coming straight to me. I thought it was a fly. Well, since it was rushing at me, I went gorilla on it and smacked the **** out of it to the ground... I have never seen a mosquito that big!!!! It was the size of your normal house fly.

DSCF7816.jpg

DSCF7827.jpg

Since it was so big and I was in awe, I didn't kill it. So I just crippled it and let it roam the world on its legs lol... Should have just killed it.

That is it for tonight. Stay tuned. Next update will be refreshing my suspension and wheels restoration.

Tell you what though. Been contemplating on these two wheels from Axis.

Bonzai

banzai_15x8.jpg

OG-San
og-san_15x8_anth.jpg

In 15X8 rear and 15X7 Fronts. But can't afford them now. Maybe for this summer coming up.

Ill leave it at that for now ;)

Raymond

Reaction score
Oh man this is so awesome, please keep updating the thread! I used to have an '88 NA with T-tops myself, power everything, auto, and slow as dog crap, but I still say it was the most fun car to drive. I really wish I could still own that car, I would have loved to restore it like you're doing this one. Keep it up!

Back