eletric turbos??

vtec_accord99

Reaction score
i though about gettin an electric turbo charger and swap out the electric motor for a bigger one....would equal bigger boost right?

angelplus

Reaction score
You mean the actual real good ones that actually put out 1psi - 2psi that cost $300? Or the plasitic ones on ebay that are $10? rofl

I do believe that the good ones are called e-rams

I dunno how those would do. Expecially under nitrous applications ;)

ib042129

Reaction score
vtec_accord99 said:
i though about gettin an electric turbo charger and swap out the electric motor for a bigger one....would equal bigger boost right?

I don't think it's that simple. I'm guessing that the max rpm of the motor is the key issue. But more power does not necesserily means more boost. Also there is the issue of how much current you battery can consistently handle to drive that motor. And then you run into the problem of what kind of motor it is:AC, DC, stepper, brushed, brushless. I think all this comes into play.

Dinzdale40

Large Member
Reaction score
you would not need an electric motor in the engine bay....basically you could make the turbo connect to an onboard compressor just like you would attach a impact wrench to a home compressor...you could have a tank in the rear of the car with a compressor specially designed to build pressure as fast as it possible....then all you would need is a turbo up front driven by compressed air instead of exhaust....this would only last a minimal amount of time tho...but until you find a motor that could continuously build boost without a tank it would make it last alot longer and be easier to control...

ib042129

Reaction score
Dinzdale40 said:
you would not need an electric motor in the engine bay....basically you could make the turbo connect to an onboard compressor just like you would attach a impact wrench to a home compressor...you could have a tank in the rear of the car with a compressor specially designed to build pressure as fast as it possible....then all you would need is a turbo up front driven by compressed air instead of exhaust....this would only last a minimal amount of time tho...but until you find a motor that could continuously build boost without a tank it would make it last alot longer and be easier to control...
If you are thinking that way, you might as well skip the turbo all togetehr and just feed comressed air dirrectly to the engine.
Either way the problem would be that it can only last a few seconds.

But then if you are thinking this way you can get a supercharger instead and run it from let's say a go-cart engine.

FallenAngelHIM

Reaction score
e-Ram has a money back guarentee. they will even pay you got the Dyno test that you had to take to prove their product didn't give you any significant HP increase.

problem is how do they define significant? is 1HP increase significant? and is it at the wheel or pulley?

talontsiawd

Reaction score
Well, supposeadly the legit, high priced ones work. Just not very well. They have some very high priced ones 2k+ that i've read about that work well. The problem is it really taxes your electrical system and you end up paying for what you could get out a similar turbo set up. If you got a small turbo that you could realistically run on 1-2 psi used, like a t25 (if you can find a waste gate that will work) and an manifold, you are at the same place. With that little boost, you don't need an intercooler or bov, or injectors. So i conventional turbo setup using the stock injectors, etc, isn't going to give you any benifit over a conventional turbo.

Jeffro

Reaction score
talontsiawd said:
So i conventional turbo setup using the stock injectors, etc, isn't going to give you any benifit over a conventional turbo.

Do you mean, the electric turbo isn't going to give you any benefit over a conventional turbo? ;)

BlkCurrantKord

Super Moderator
Reaction score
talontsiawd said:
Well, supposeadly the legit, high priced ones work. Just not very well. They have some very high priced ones 2k+ that i've read about that work well. The problem is it really taxes your electrical system and you end up paying for what you could get out a similar turbo set up. If you got a small turbo that you could realistically run on 1-2 psi used, like a t25 (if you can find a waste gate that will work) and an manifold, you are at the same place. With that little boost, you don't need an intercooler or bov, or injectors. So i conventional turbo setup using the stock injectors, etc, isn't going to give you any benifit over a conventional turbo.

Electric "turbo-chargers" are ghey. Get a leaf blower and stick it next to your battery if thats what you want.

As for that simple turbo setup - I have an extra T25 in our garage, lots of piping, some old nitrous lines, and some fittings. All I'd need is 2 extra flanges and some bolts, possibly a BOV. Hmmm...

Back