new breaks, 2 new rotors, and now its squeeling

osiriskidd

Reaction score
first of, hi to everyone. i'm new :D own a 2001 honda accord. auto.

anyways, i just got my brake pads changed, and new 2 rotors for the front. the 2 in the back are pretty bad, but new brake pads on those too. i got it changed at pep boys, and its been about 3 weeks now and i notice that my breaks squeek when i stop. its not ALL the time, but there's a certain point where it'll squeek. i'll say going about 5mph then i slowly press it it'll let out a good squeel. if i just slam it it won't at all.

could this be the bad rotors? or ****astic brake pads.

Sketch o5

Señor Greengo
Reaction score
nah, theyre just breaking in. mine squeeled a little when i first had em. but theyve been quite lately. i have Powerslot Rotors with EBC Greenstuffs pads tho.

shavedaccord

Reaction score
get some brake quiet and spray/wipe it on the contact surface on the back of the pad..

osiriskidd

Reaction score
okay, what happened was, i went to pep boys and when they installed the pads and rotor, they didnt sand it down, so that's why it's squeeking. its because it's a metallic pad insted of organic apparently.

also, with the spray, will i just spray through the wheel, or do i have to remove the wheel and such.

FLiP wiT da FLo

Reaction score
i think you and i have the same problem. i just posted a thread like this earlier but no one posted. i too changed my pads about a month ago. Hawk Performance Brake pads. And now it squeels when i also stop slowly. but on a hard stop it doesnt squeel.

osiriskidd

Reaction score
yea. a mechanic from san fran told me, that because it's a metal type of brake pad, it lasts longer, but when breaking it in it WILL squeel. however, if they were to sand down the edges and make the the edges a little steeper the squeeling should stop. i'm going to have pep boys do it in a few days. i guess i'll do a followup on how well it worked.

Jeffro

Reaction score
osiriskidd said:
yea. a mechanic from san fran told me, that because it's a metal type of brake pad, it lasts longer, but when breaking it in it WILL squeel. however, if they were to sand down the edges and make the the edges a little steeper the squeeling should stop. i'm going to have pep boys do it in a few days. i guess i'll do a followup on how well it worked.

I hate to say it, but brake pads that hard would scare me... I'd be afraid that it is going to beat the **** out of my rotors... But maybe that's just me...

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
osiriskidd said:
do the pads have a slit down the center? does the side view of the pad look like this \---- ----/ ? if it doesnt have either, it a crappy pad to begin with. its possible that your pads are glazing. if this is the case, hit the pad surface with some sandpaper. what i think is happening is the shims have loosened. chances are the shims arent built in. you dont need em in any case. i took my front ones off and scuffed the pads while i was at it and no more sqeeky :)

Back