Idle issues after cleaning IACV + IM

TrnkMonkey

Reaction score
My and a friend decided to clean the IACV + IM since I had a previous problem with the EGR and it was full of carbon. We followed the how to on the site and got everything clean.

Here is the problem, we tried starting the car a few hours later and it wouldn't crank. It sounded like it wanted to but it choked up and didn't. About 1 hour later it turned on but now it goes while on park from 1000rpm to 2000rpm non-stop. When you drive it if you let go of the gas it does the same 1000-2000.

took it to a shop they checked for leaks didn't find anything, they tested the iacv and their system showed it working fine. Now they tell me it has to be the iacv because nothing else is off and i had thrown a P0505 code.

Any suggestions would be very helpful.

F23A1AT

Reaction score
My and a friend decided to clean the IACV + IM since I had a previous problem with the EGR and it was full of carbon. We followed the how to on the site and got everything clean.

Here is the problem, we tried starting the car a few hours later and it wouldn't crank. It sounded like it wanted to but it choked up and didn't. About 1 hour later it turned on but now it goes while on park from 1000rpm to 2000rpm non-stop. When you drive it if you let go of the gas it does the same 1000-2000.

took it to a shop they checked for leaks didn't find anything, they tested the iacv and their system showed it working fine. Now they tell me it has to be the iacv because nothing else is off and i had thrown a P0505 code.

Any suggestions would be very helpful.

You have a Vacuum leak no doubt about it. Did you replace those gaskets?

TrnkMonkey

Reaction score
You have a Vacuum leak no doubt about it. Did you replace those gaskets?

I replaced the IACV gasket, but did not replace the metal IM one. I also thought leak but reading on here a leak is suppose to make the idle lower not higher.

F23A1AT

Reaction score
I replaced the IACV gasket, but did not replace the metal IM one. I also thought leak but reading on here a leak is suppose to make the idle lower not higher.

A leak will make the idle fluctuate up and down. The metal one should be fine, I would be willing to bet that it is the IACV not seated properly, if that is the only other gasket you removed.

TrnkMonkey

Reaction score
A leak will make the idle fluctuate up and down. The metal one should be fine, I would be willing to bet that it is the IACV not seated properly, if that is the only other gasket you removed.

I took it out twice to double check, I guess i'll do it again. Is it real bad to drive around like that? I don't want to get stuck somewhere with it.

TrnkMonkey

Reaction score
Thanks for the PMs that I received, also for all the input. Problem was def a leak, the gasket got bent when we put the IM back. We took it all apart again and replaced the gasket, after all was done I gave it a nice wash =)

sucky phone pics but it will do
IMG00129-20100819-1857.jpg

IMG00130-20100819-1857.jpg

Back