Is my tranny gone?

CDsDontBurn

Reaction score
For those that don't know, v6 4AT. But yea, I seriously hope it's NOT gone because if it is, this is the worst possible time for this to happen to me financially.

Prologue:
Two days ago I drove my car to work like I would any other day. I parked, set the alarm and walked away into the office. For lunch, I went to my car to go out, turned the key and "click" is all I heard. I couldn't hear the fuel pump prime the engine.

Long story short, the problem was the starter. Had it replaced and my car started up no problem.

Symptoms:
1. My D4 light blinks. I know already that isn't a good sign.

2. My car doesn't seem to accelerate very quickly anymore. The best I can explain is as if the car's computer is forcing the car to stay in 4th gear.

3. Shifting my car manually, it seems that I couldn't get the car to forced into 1st gear, only 2nd gear. Shifting manually, I also noticed the following:

• Shifting from D2 to D3 makes the car shift hard
  • The hard shifting from D2 to D3 seems to shift the car into D4 rather than D3 as there is significant RPM loss between the D2 and D3 gears when manually set

4. My code scanner detected a P0763 for the CEL. It described it as a "Shift" error. A quick search for that code, all I found was "A/T concerns" in the CEL code thread, and one pertinent thread that says it could be solenoid.

http://www.6thgenaccord.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17617&highlight=P0763

Possible solutions / Questions?:
1. Could this be related to some sort of sensor somewhere? I know there are a few sensors located on the exterior of the transmission. Could one of these have gone out?

2. Could the starter having gone out and being replaced have something to do with this since the starter is attached to the tranny and flywheel?

3. If it's a solenoid issue, does that mean I have to drop the entire tranny. Does the tranny need to be rebuilt? Is there any other major work that should be done to the tranny?

History:
The tranny was rebuilt at 129k and my car now has 197k, so that's 68k miles on the rebuilt tranny. I had done the ATF drain and fill procedure at the 30k interval and was planning on doing another one soon as it was due for it.

HondaLuver83

Reaction score
Sorry but your most likely having transmission issues again, I would try and reset the computer to see if that works by unplugging the battery.

redlinevtec

Reaction score
Usually if it's one of the sensors on the tranny going bad you'll get a CEL. Like hondaluver said above, you can try to reset the ecu and also install a tranny cooler. Since you have a v6 I would recommend a filter as well with a magnet to get any metal shavings.

Last edited:

almightyfargoth

Reaction score
"Shifting from D2 to D3 makes the car shift hard"

if you're already having problems with it, that probably sealed the deal.

CDsDontBurn

Reaction score
Usually if it's one of the sensors on the tranny going bad you'll get a CEL. Like hondaluver said above, you can try to reset the ecu and also install a tranny cooler. Since you have a v6 I would recommend a filter as well with a magnet to get any metal shavings.

yea, i was planning on getting that done too. I just needed the money for the extra parts.

"Shifting from D2 to D3 makes the car shift hard"

if you're already having problems with it, that probably sealed the deal.

I didn't mean it in the sense that I always shift from D2 to D3. I know better than to do that with our transmissions. I meant that in relation to the issue i'm experiencing.

I wanted to see what gear wasn't being engaged since this started yesterday. From shifting manually from D1 all the way to D4, i feel confident that D1 and D3 are not engaging. When going to D2 to D3, it feels like D3 is being skipped entirely and that the transmission is going straight into D4 which would explain the reason why it feels like it's shifting hard AND the significant loss of RPMs between D2 and D3.

almightyfargoth

Reaction score
so when you're driving from a stop, and you listen and feel for the gear changes, it seems to bog down between the time it goes into 2nd and whatever it decides is next?

like it's not catching on 3rd gear ever?

CDsDontBurn

Reaction score
so when you're driving from a stop, and you listen and feel for the gear changes, it seems to bog down between the time it goes into 2nd and whatever it decides is next?

like it's not catching on 3rd gear ever?

The transmission doesn't seem to be shifting for me at all since this started. If shifting is going to happen, it happens manually by me since this began yesterday.

If I leave it in D4 at a stop, there is barely any power delivery when I accelerate. My car will rev up and it will get going slowly.

If I put it in D1 at a stop, i don't feel any of the torque i've felt in the few seldom times i've taken off in D1. The car feels like it's in D2. This is what tells me that D1 is not engaging.

If I put it in D2 at a stop, it takes off normally. But when I go to shift the car manually to D3 at an appropriate RPM (between 3k and 4.5k depending on what I'm doing/driving situation), the gears don't slip at all. They engage with a kick and the RPMs go way down.

At highway speeds (I cruise 75 - 80), I was switching between D3 and D4 and at those speeds, the RPMs will increase to around 5,000 RPM. When I was switching between D3 and D4 on my way to work this morning, the RPMs stayed ~2,800 RPM. This is what further tells me that D3 is not engaging.

HondaLuver83

Reaction score
manually shifting gears isnt bad for the car if your driving normal. Just try to be easy on the tranny, any info on the warranty of your transmission?

JMillerUA6

Grillin' rape steaks
Reaction score
OP check your transmission fluid to see if it looks burnt at all. My guess is the rebuild is WAY out of warranty. In my experience rebuilds are only warrantied for 6 months or 6k miles.

Sounds like it's time for another rebuild unfortunately. I would unload the car after that.

Back