DIY: Wiper Help

thaitanium15

Reaction score
So I fixed my wipers a couple weeks ago and thought I'd share this in DIY because I couldn't find it anywhere myself. Let me know if this has already been covered thanks!

Wiper Problems

Symptoms:
1. Wipers hit/smack your cowl and/or side of your windshield.
2. Wipers are not in sync.

Solution:
1. Check to see if there is free play by grabbing a wiper and moving it with your hand. The wiper arm should not move that much. If it feels free or moves about an inch or two in either/both directions up and down continue reading the next few steps. If not, just tighten the wipers arms.

2. Remove the cowl. This is done by undoing a few clips and the dust seal (wiggle the clips in the dust seal from the body out, don’t just yank) Be patient!

3. Once the cowl is off look at your wiper assembly. It should look like this.
IMG_0183.jpg

4. Check and see if there is movement in any of the rods. They should all be firmly in place.

Accordfrontwindshieldwiper.png

5. The problem with mine was that one of the plastic caps that connects “Rod Unit A (#9 in the diagram)” to the metal joints was cracked and broken thus making the connection between the left and right wipers out of sync.

IMG_0184.jpg

This is a broken cap.

IMG_0329.jpg

This is the old rod with one of the plastic caps off (left side)

IMG_0331.jpg

This is the bottom of the old (but still good) plastic cap

IMG_0332.jpg

This is the top of the old (bust still good) plastic cap

6. You cannot replace the little plastic cap so the only remedy is to replace the entire “Rod Unit A”. If your “Rod Unit A” looks good then check the other Rod Units as they have the same plastic cap component and are also capable of breaking.

7. Below is a link to the catalog for the windshield wiper parts. “Rod Unit A” is listed at $21.22 but I paid about $17 at my local Honda dealership parts department. The rod Unit comes pre-lubed etc.

8. The hardest part was "popping" the rod unit back in place. It will go back in, just use some power and have patience. Try putting the left side one first (if you're dealing with rod unit A).

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com...atcgry4=KA4AT&catcgry5=FRONT+WINDSHIELD+WIPER

Let me know if you have any questions. I don't have a pic of my new Rod Unit installed. I forgot to take the pic before I reinstalled the cowl. lol.

I also repainted my cowl when I did this repair. I used the high heat engine spray paint you can find anywhere. Just sand, primer and paint! It makes my cowl look brand new!

Back