clunk noise when shifting from park.

osiriskidd

Reaction score
01 accord ex coupe auto.
when i'm parked on a hill, and i shift from park to any gear, i hear a loud CLUNK noise. it happens everytime, and my friends say i need new transmission fluid. i don't know if that's what i need or not, but maybe it's something more. any insight?

shavedaccord

Reaction score
well you do know honda auto trannies are notorious for going out way to early in our cars..

osiriskidd

Reaction score
yea, when i go on a hill to park, i hold down brake hard, and pull up the Ebrake all the way. then when i start it up, i shift down slowly from PARK and HOPEFULLY it doesn't make the noise. but there's no way to fix this?

BlkCurrantKord

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Its normal, nothing to worry about. You don't need new tranny fluid and your tranny isnt going out either, your friends dont know what they're talking about.

williamsvt

Reaction score
Yeah i heard about this problem with the automatic transmissions. I wonder why this happens so frequently in these models. My cb7 (93 accord) was auto and had about 175,xxx on it, before anything seemed to start acting up.

EmMinODaGreaT

Reaction score
most trans make that noise.... it is the park pawl that locks it into gear... and then there is also an anti-clunk spring inside the tranny inbetween planetary carrier etc.... could be wearin out...

whitey2kaccord

Reaction score
Just make sure you use the E-brake when you park on a hill. Shift out of park before you release the E-brake, then there shouldn't be any clunking.

1998accordsirt

Reaction score
Jeffro said:
Could be time for a manny tranny! :driving:

j/p

Actually nearly all Honda automatic gearboxes are just modified manuals. Don't know if this holds true for newer Hondas, but at least for cars from the 80s and 90s.

Back