Can I pass emissions (CA) with reground camshaft?

theaccordian

Reaction score
Ive been considering getting a reground camshaft for a while now. But the only thing stopping me is the possibility of it causing me to fail emissions.

Ive been considering the GUDE camshaft regrind, because supposedly it offers a good idle, resonable specs: intake lift- .400 duration-262 exhaust lift: .412 duration 232 doesent require upgraded springs/ retainers, and offers decent gains (according to asfastasu on eh and demon5spd.)

Also according to gude it doesent REQUIRE tuning to see gains, although tuning would be reuired to fully use cam to maximum potential.

So my question is would it cause me to fail emissions? I mean all the camshaft does is open the valves more and longer right as long as I retain all my stock emission devices cat, ecu etc. I SHOULD pass? or is that an oversimplification?

I already passed a few months ago with the CALI state ref, with the stock air box, dc headers, high flow cat, catback, and stock ecu.

If it does cause me to fail emissions, its a no go, because I dont wanna uninstall the cam every two years, or pay someone under the table.

enlighten me

*edit* and yes Im aware of their notorius bad customer service rep but thats subjective imo and I'll let it slide because they have a decent product.

Last edited:

BadgerType

Resident ***hole
Reaction score
i told you you couldnt last more than a week..... lol

i dont see it cause any failure in emissions.

... i got a spare cam if ya want it

theaccordian

Reaction score
BadgerType said:
i told you you couldnt last more than a week..... lol

i dont see it cause any failure in emissions.

... i got a spare cam if ya want it

damn, I should modify my post to IM DONE WITH THE "EXTERIOR" OF MY CAR :rofl:

pending verification about passing emissions i want it. demon 5spd's thread pushed me over the edge.

BlkCurrantKord

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I dont see why you wouldn't pass. All your doing is changing how far/how long the valves open.

Tell ya what, you get Gude's and I'll get RocketMotorsports.

Last edited:

Jeffro

Reaction score
BlkCurrantKord said:
I dont see why you wouldn't pass. All your doing is changing how far/how long the valves open.

Tell ya what, you get Gude's and I'll get RocketMotorsports.

Emissions? What's that? lol ;)

Neight

Reaction score
You can go to the CARB website, search for their mobile source division and email them, they usually respond quickly during the week.

Back