Coilovers - decisions

Quinchu

Reaction score
ok, I have the money in my hand right now (checking account, plastic owns)

I've been looking at 3 different types of coilovers and can't make up my FREAKING MIND ;-; Anyone help me and give me some pro's and con's on the ones I'm lookin' at? Thanks in advance if you can ^^;

-Tien Super Street Damper
http://store.racinglab.com/tein-ssp--14.html

-Tien Basics
http://store.racinglab.com/ho98ac6ctety.html

-OmniPower Coilovers
http://www.omnipowerusa.com/Products/Products_Suspension_Full_Coilover.asp
$749.99

I have the $1300 for the setups (If the most expensive is needed). I want it to ride good, and be able to handle good, and I want about a 2-3 inch drop. Hook me up with some info you smart car peoples!

theaccordian

Reaction score
first off, we need to know what youre reasoning is for getting coilovers. do you want it for handling, looks, stiff ride, soft ride, height adjustability, dampening adjustability, etc.

Quinchu

Reaction score
Reasoning:
First off I want it for looks, I'm a junkie when it comes to looks.
Second I want it for handling, cornering hard is something I do -often- and I hate body roll.
Stiff/Soft ride doesn't matter, just let it be known I do equal Intown and highway miles daily (60-70 miles a day)
Height adjustability, yes, so I can slam it when I start showing it.
Dampening adjustability? never really thought about that..

Got that infos? ^^

Sketch o5

Señor Greengo
Reaction score
dampening will allow you to really fine tune your set up. if you have a harder setting in the back then you do in the front, the less understeer, which 6th gens have plenty of, youll have, and visa versa. i know i have my rear illuminas set to 5, which is the hardest setting and its pretty stiff back there, haha. the fronts i have set to 3, which is about the middle, and the car handles really good.

theaccordian

Reaction score
Id suggest omnipower streets or sports if your hardcore into handling. They have a wider range of height adjustability than basics and they have stiffer spring rates than basics for tighter handling.

I also commute to work and school in my car and its not too bumpy at all and people that dont know I changed my suspension dont notice a change, so I guess the ride comfort is good considering the spring rates.

but I guess im bias since Ive been running the streets for a year and have had absoultey ZERO problems, cept a little squeaking here and there.

but people swear by tein basics also, I have no first hand experience with them so I cant comment. so I say get whichever you find cheaper. whichever way you go, you cant lose, its like choosing between banging carmen electra and pam anderson.

also you can find omnis way cheaper than the price you listed.

Last edited:

00Accord4cyl

The Orange Skittle
Reaction score
Omnis for handling and being able to slam it...but the ride will be very stiff and adjusting the height on them is a HUGE pain...very cheap though, you can get them for $650 shipped at V6P

As for Tein, i would just go with Basic, SSp would not be worth all the extra money...only disadvantage is i do'nt think you can very low...3" maybe but other then that they are great, so i have heard

I have heard some good things about Apexi's but they don't make them anymore

theaccordian

Reaction score
00Accord4cyl said:
Omnis for handling and being able to slam it...but the ride will be very stiff and adjusting the height on them is a HUGE pain...very cheap though, you can get them for $650 shipped at V6P

As for Tein, i would just go with Basic, SSp would not be worth all the extra money...only disadvantage is i do'nt think you can very low...3" maybe but other then that they are great, so i have heard

I have heard some good things about Apexi's but they don't make them anymore

oh yeah forgot about that, adjusting almost took as long as the initial install. Just hope you set it at the right height the first time.

but they sure are real purdy and shiny lookin:

DSC01826.jpg

:thumbsup:

Last edited:

Wildman

Read the rules
Reaction score
you can buy just regular tein ss's (not ss-p's) for <$900, or at least you could. Mine were $850 shipped bnib

basics don't have dampening adjustment

Quinchu

Reaction score
theaccordian said:
oh yeah forgot about that, adjusting almost took as long as the initial install. Just hope you set it at the right height the first time.

Is it really that hard to adjust? I want to be able to slam it when I start gettin' into shows, I've heard they're kinda annoying, but same with the Teins. But I was initially looking at getting Teins, and then I noticed that alot of people were sayin' really good things about Omni's and I said hell, I'll check them out.

After I hear a couple more opinions, I'm thinking of ordering the omni's either tomorrow, or thursday.

Back