What size tire will fit on stock rims?

CDsDontBurn

Reaction score
I'm about ready to buy tires for my car and I've already decided on what brand of tire to get.

Now, I'm stuck on what size tires to get. I've looked at miatatiresizecalculator.com and 1010tires.com and both say that 215/60/16 and 225/55/16 will both work.

Would anybody know how handling will be affected by either of these two sizes? Will the 215s be better than the 225s? Or will the 225s be better than 215s? They say "Wider is better" but is there a point where there is "too wide" of a tire?

I'm curious to know if anybody has ever tried either of these two sizes on the stock wheels before?

Can anybody confirm if this size will work?

some stuff i found searching 6GA:

1. no follow-up to last post in thread - dead end.

http://www.6thgenaccord.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23643&highlight=tire+size

2. had a semi-answer in it. answers given seemed to be filled with uncertainty and OP didn't really follow up with it. this thread also made me curious to know if the OEM rim is 6in. or 6.5in.?

http://www.6thgenaccord.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23102&highlight=tire+size

As to why I want wider tires, it's because I'm looking to get better handling/cornering performance out of my car than the stock 205/60/16 tires can provide.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Stock V6 EX wheels are 16x6.5 +52 (or 55, I can't remember).

If you want better grip and you've already modified suspension, the proper way to get it is buying wider rims that can accommodate wider tires, not changing the tire size that the stock rims were designed for. 215's might look alright, but 225's will balloon on a 6.5" wide rim.

Either way you won't see an increase in performance and will spend more money for more rubber. I would save your money and get some wider rims/tires.

CDsDontBurn

Reaction score
Stock V6 EX wheels are 16x6.5 +52 (or 55, I can't remember).

If you want better grip and you've already modified suspension, the proper way to get it is buying wider rims that can accommodate wider tires, not changing the tire size that the stock rims were designed for. 215's might look alright, but 225's will balloon on a 6.5" wide rim.

Either way you won't see an increase in performance and will spend more money for more rubber. I would save your money and get some wider rims/tires.

yes, i understand that going with a new set of wheels is the best way to go, but ATM, i can't shell out ~$1,200 on wheels and tires. so, i'm looking for just tires for now. i was saving up for wheels and tires, but the tires didn't last as long as i was hoping for so i only have enough money for just the tires right now.

i appreciate the input of you telling me that the 225s will balloon out like that.

what are your thoughts on the 215s? these would also balloon out i presume but it wouldn't be so bad as the 225s, right?

SykVSyx

Reaction score
Use 215's on a stock rim.

That is what they came with from the factory, so that is the best tire for them.

If you want better performance, then upgrade the quality of tire, and maybe consider a lower profile tire.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
yes, i understand that going with a new set of wheels is the best way to go, but ATM, i can't shell out ~$1,200 on wheels and tires. so, i'm looking for just tires for now. i was saving up for wheels and tires, but the tires didn't last as long as i was hoping for so i only have enough money for just the tires right now.

i appreciate the input of you telling me that the 225s will balloon out like that.

what are your thoughts on the 215s? these would also balloon out i presume but it wouldn't be so bad as the 225s, right?

You could buy a used set of base 3G TL rims (17x8) with good tires for under $500 if you look around a bit. Or even cheaper would be a set of 2G TL (17x6.5) or CL (17x7) rims.

But if you're staying with your stocks, I would still stick to the factory size man. You're going to spend more money for more rubber and it will do nothing for you. But if I can't convince you, then go with 215/55/16. Your overall diameter will change slightly, as will your speedo/odo accuracy.

That is what they came with from the factory, so that is the best tire for them.

If you want better performance, then upgrade the quality of tire, and maybe consider a lower profile tire.

Derek are you drunk? The factory tire size is 205/60/16. :lawl:

And if he goes to a lower profile tire, he will need to drop more to compensate or he'll have the "small wheel look". And this will majorly throw off his speedo/odo accuracy, which he may/may not care about. His choice should be to upgrade to a better quality tire (Honda factory-fitted these cars with Michelin MXV4's).

Last edited:

CDsDontBurn

Reaction score

gotcha.

and i for sure want to go with some wheels. it's just that i'm a little short on cash for that, lol.

CDsDontBurn

Reaction score
You could buy a used set of base 3G TL rims (17x8) with good tires for under $500 if you look around a bit. Or even cheaper would be a set of 2G TL (17x6.5) or CL (17x7) rims.

But if you're staying with your stocks, I would still stick to the factory size man. You're going to spend more money for more rubber and it will do nothing for you. But if I can't convince you, then go with 215/55/16. Your overall diameter will change slightly, as will your speedo/odo accuracy.

The factory tire size is 205/60/16. And if he goes to a lower profile tire, he will need to drop more to compensate or he'll have the "small wheel look". And this will majorly throw off his speedo/odo accuracy, which he may/may not care about. His choice should be to upgrade to a better quality tire (Honda fitted these cars with Michelin MXV4's at the factory).

dude, i didn't know that TL wheels were going as low as that! i'll definitely look around a bit then.

AllGOnoSHOW

Reaction score
My OEM wheels came with 205/60/r16's which is factory spec . On OEM wheels I will never recommend anything other than the factory spec tires. I recommend what is OEM spec.

Edit: Chris rocks.

Last edited:
Back