Hard Wire USB cable...

ShaunBLAZE

Reaction score
Where would the best spot be to hard wire a USB cable? I just need to connect the cables the supply power, no data. Should I just tap into the power leads of the radio harness?

dynasty

Reaction score
what are you trying to charge? car battery is 12v and home electricity is 120v. BIG difference. i recommend buying a converter in this matter.

ShaunBLAZE

Reaction score
jdm_dynasty said:
what are you trying to charge? car battery is 12v and home electricity is 120v. BIG difference. i recommend buying a converter in this matter.

I'm trying to use it for my PDA which is going to be used as my multimedia/navigtional. I know they have USB cigarette lighter chargers but I thought it would be cool to have the power hard wired.

Jeffro

Reaction score
Do you want it to be on all the time? If you only want it to be on when the car is on (like the cigarette lighter) then tapping the lighter and hard wiring it would be the easiest IMO... But if you want it available all the time, I would personally just run a + line straight from your battery to wherever you mount it... Then you aren't restricted on where you can mount it, and as long as your battery has power, the cable will have power...

ShaunBLAZE

Reaction score
Jeffro said:
Do you want it to be on all the time? If you only want it to be on when the car is on (like the cigarette lighter) then tapping the lighter and hard wiring it would be the easiest IMO... But if you want it available all the time, I would personally just run a + line straight from your battery to wherever you mount it... Then you aren't restricted on where you can mount it, and as long as your battery has power, the cable will have power...

Yeah after reading another thread I realized tapping the cig lighter might be the better option. Do you know if the lighter pops out somehow or am I going to have to remove the console?

Totalimmortal

Reaction score
Console has to come out. Pull the drink holder out and then pry the center console area up. There's two screws holding the storage bin in place. You have to pop the panel above the storage bin off the pull the storage bin out.

Last edited:

ShaunBLAZE

Reaction score
Totalimmortal said:
Console has to come out. Pull the drink holder out and then pry the center console area up. There's two screws holding the storage bin in place. You have to pop the panel above the storage bin off the pull the storage bin out.

OK thanks. I was really hoping to not have to remove the console, but I need to know how anyway.

Jeffro

Reaction score
ShaunBLAZE said:
OK thanks. I was really hoping to not have to remove the console, but I need to know how anyway.

The only way to avoid that is to tap another source for power... i.e. ignition harness or something readily accessible under the dash...

Sketch o5

Señor Greengo
Reaction score
with the voltage thing, i think it would be better to hardwire the car charger, since its already set up to recive the voltage your car will give it.

dynasty

Reaction score
i would check the voltage + the amps before you hardwire it. just to be on the safe side, i would buy a converter. unless the PDA is exactly 12v. remember, when you're engine is on, it goes up to 13v because the alternator is charging the battery. this could cause too much power to the PDA.

Back