HIR lowbeams installed

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
looky what i got :D
DSC00727_001.JPG

my new toshiba hir 9012 :thumbsup: the top tab needs to be cut down, but thats not really a problem. dont listen to instructions out on the web--a side cutter does work and works well. snip snip done. to put these in you have to back out the mounting screws because the tabs for the hir bulbs are really thick. also fyi, the top tab that you have to cut is thicker than all the rest. if the bulb wont go in, chances are all you need to do is back out the top screw more. other than that, they fit right in and hook up like stock.

i must say, the beam is really bright. it doesnt look much different when you look at the front of the car, just brighter. the color they produce *seems* identical to a stock 9006, only a tad whiter. when you look at the bulb when its on, it looks exactly like a new 9006. no blue, no rice involved.

the beam is pretty even, but theres a couple hot spots. its not that big of a deal since theyre way on the sides.

ok, onto the pics. it was really windy outside and i was going to pop in a silverstar and stocker for comparison, but it was just too windy. my hood was shaking like a mofo when i had it propped. also, my camera doesnt pick up a lot of light because there is a yellow sodium light behind me. cant have a college campus without every inch lit up lol. there is a lot of light on the sides, and the beam reaches well beyond what the camera picks up.

daytime: can you guess which side has the hir? this pic also shows that the appearance from straight on looks just like stock:
DSC00728_001.JPG

these are the only night pics that came out and truly represent the bulbs. there is more light everywhere, not just concentrated in the center. my camera doesnt pick it up, and the sodium light doesnt help either:
DSC00736.JPG

from in front of the car. the light really goes farther than the camera shows, both straight and sideways:
DSC00738.JPG

sorry for the crappy pics. theyre all ive got lol. these should hold me over till i get my retro going :D

dynasty

Reaction score
wow. slight differences. but as long as it's brighter, that's a plus. how much you got it for?

dynasty

Reaction score
wow. i rather get PIAAs than that though. haha. was it worth it in your opinion?

Totalimmortal

Reaction score
PIAA's=Over priced high wattage crap.

HIR=Actually puts more light out at th same wattage.

I'm tempted to get some 9011's and pop them in.

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
well, there wasnt a car every 10 feet on the drive home from work. all i can say is WOW. i can light up basically 3 lanes. they light up signs from a few hundred feet. the main beam directly in front of the car lights up both lanes perfectly. i think im going to raise them a slight bit so the main beam is a little further out. i didnt get flashed either :D

and oh yeah, you dont need 9011 for your lowbeams like a 9005 conversion. the 9012 are plenty bright as is. 9011s for the low beam would be waaay overkill and you would get flashed constantly.

Last edited:

Jeffro

Reaction score
Good lord... I get flashed ALL the time, and I've only got the cool blues... :(

I don't even care anymore... I don't know what I'd do with HID's lol...

Totalimmortal

Reaction score
I think i'm going to try it. It's about 2500 lumens. The 9012 is 1700 lumens, about the same as a 9005 conversion.

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
Jeffro said:
Good lord... I get flashed ALL the time, and I've only got the cool blues... :(

I don't even care anymore... I don't know what I'd do with HID's lol...
you might just have to re-aim your headlights. the cool blues are dimmer than stock bulbs.

totalimmortal said:
I think i'm going to try it. It's about 2500 lumens. The 9012 is 1700 lumens, about the same as a 9005 conversion.
id recommend against doing it in stock headlamps. honestly, the 9012s are plenty bright. i think the 9011s would cause too much glare, just like a hid kit. 2000 lumens is the limit for accord headlights, imo. i get a couple of hot spots with 1700 lumens, i cant imagine going any higher.

Back