Clutch decided to stop working!

JoeyG401

Reaction score
so i pulled out of my drive way today heading for school, reverse, then 1st, then 2nd, 3rd, pop it into neutral goin downhill and it pushes in very easily. i stopped at a stop sign and pushed it into 1st as hard as i could for it to go. so the whole way to school i tried to stay in one gear and not stop lmao.

after school it wouldnt go into gear at all. checked my clutch fluid which was low and bought some at advance auto parts. poured it in, pumped the clutch bout 30 times and it started shifting again. and worked fine all the way home. i live in rhode island and it was about 10 degrees over night, so im thinking my fluid line froze and cracked, but ill keep checking after i drive it to see if any is leaking. let me know if this has ever happened to anyone and if this is a more serious problem. thanks!

kn0x47

Reaction score
if your fluid is low then i would think your master or slave cylinder is leaking. but when mine was leaking i could get it into gear just fine but couldnt get it out of gear without letting it stall. ...someone else that knows will chime in eventually

redlinevtec

Reaction score
Alright man, I doubt it's your line that froze and cracked. Brake fluid has a pretty good freeze viscosity tolerance. Your clutch pedal works off hydraulic pressure. Most likely a seal went bad and it's leaking. I went through the same exact thing you went through. Now my girl is afraid to learn stick.

What most likely is the culprit is part 15. A $2 part. You can only get this at the dealer. That x-ring (o-ring) sometimes gets brittle and cracks. The smallest chip in that little o-ring will have all your fluid come out of your clutch reservoir, thus loosing pressure in your clutch pedal. The only thing I would be concerned with is draining the clutch master cylinder. It's not good if it's bone dry, especially if it's old. If that o-ring is the culprit, replace it and call it a day.

I highly suggest that you change out the clutch master cylinder since it's already been drained and potentially damaged. You should also replace your slave master cylinder as well. Your going to be in that area changing that seal out, and it's a PIA so change the CMC. (That is if anything I said above applies to you) Replace both always in pairs! Especially if both parts have over 125k miles on them. Make sure you bleed the line correctly. Tokico makes excellent OEM replacement clutch and slave master cylinders without having to worry about modifying your clutch line to fit. A lot of cheap aftermarket no name brand clutch master cylinders require you to make it "fit" their CMC fitting.

Hope this helped man. But yeah, it's either your clutch master cylinder leaking or that x-ring. Let me know if this helped.

Last edited:

JoeyG401

Reaction score
thanks everybody, no more has leaked yet but it still feels weak when i push the clutch in. it slides into gear fine just doesnt feeel right. but thanks again

YoungxNutkase

Reaction score
hey i got this same problem.. clutch fluid keeps running low and my masters cylinder is new..i dont see any leaks by the slave cylinder though...im giving it another week to see if it runs out again.. i hope its just a 2 dollar problem like that ring thing ( and i know that pin for the line is b*tch to get in)... if its not that prolly gonna swap out the slave

nsjames

Reaction score
thanks everybody, no more has leaked yet but it still feels weak when i push the clutch in. it slides into gear fine just doesnt feeel right. but thanks again

it probably needs bled.

dcmystery21

Reaction score
it probably needs bled.

from what i read, it sounded like you just added fluid after it ran out. you are still going to have a lot of air in your lines which will make it feel like crap. give your clutch a proper bleeding and that should make it feel better.

Back