Car won't start!

cliffsta

Reaction score
Ok... Help! I just got out the car at my house and it had been running fine all morning. I get back in, turn the key, and nothing. The lights and everything come on, but when I turn to start the car, I get one loud click and nothing. I tried cycling the transmission in and out of park in case it was the park switch... but it still won't start. I don't get the loud click if I try to start in neutral without pressing the brake.. So that should rule out the neutral safety switch.

Did my starter just spontaneously combust? Where IS the starter on this car? Is this a quick afternoon job or do I need to call a tow truck? I don't have any advanced tools or an engine lift.

What a great way to ruin my day off...

BadgerType

Resident ***hole
Reaction score
is all the lights still on after you try to start it? any dimming? just one click ak nothing else?

cliffsta

Reaction score
All the lights come on stereo comes on. When i turn the key and release it goes right back into the "On" position with all the dash lights still on.

I replaced the ignition switch a few months ago so I know that's not the problem.

One loud click from the motor and nothing else. If I hold it in the "Start" position no extra clicks. I turn it to "Start" and one click.

EDIT:

It just started... its been sitting several minutes. Do these cars vapor lock? Will the starter lock up from heat soak? WTF. I'm kinda afraid to drive it anywhere and get stuck with it NOT at my house LOL

Any ideas what caused this?

Last edited:

cliffsta

Reaction score
Did it again. I put it in and out of park then it started. Could it be that switch?

thaitanium15

Reaction score
Mine was doing the same thing. It turns out the battery was weak. Check your battery or get it checked at Autozone etc.

My batt. was still under partial warranty after a couple of years so I got some money back.

PilotingTot

Reaction score
I've had a similar problem, turned out to be my distributor cap. Make yourself a list of inexpensive repairs for that problem and just mark em off as you go threw it.

Tphong

Reaction score
I believe it's the starter. If nothing else is wrong and all you hear is a click, it's most likely the starter. If all the electronics come on then it shouldn't be the battery. The starter will sometimes work and not work. After a couple of mins or so the car will start again when the key is turned and if it doesn't turn on all you will hear is a click from the engine bay which is the starter. There's no fast way you can tell if it's the starter though. The starter problem can come and go. What I suggest is to have a new starter for the car ready and when the car goes click change out the starter and if it starts then your problem should be fixed.

knighthawk1104

Reaction score
check your battery. the battery can have enough power to light up your dash but not enough to crank the engine. i work in a shop and most of the time when it clicks a lot or clicks just once it's the battery. i hope your situation is the same. it's not always like that though.

Back