MIL Not.working HELP!

jennelena

Reaction score
SO I have 2000 Honda accord lx 2.3L and on sat. I spent $1731(Honda dealership) on starter and other issues but nothing major other than the starter. Now that all is well I took it for a smog...didn't pass. because 1. MIL isn't working. 2. I had a code P1491(egr valve lift insufficient detected). I am taking it back to the dealer today at 8am but worried that I am gonna get screwed AGAIN! What can be done for the MIL lamp/bulb...something I can do?:eusa_wall: The egr valve lift, is that something that can be done easily? This is urgent because I don't want to get screwed when I go back..the est. over the phone "off the top of his head" is starting at $300. Any suggestions?

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
$1731 for changing the starter!? If none of the other issues were as big as that (and the starter is not a huge issue in the first place), they have not treated you well. I would go to another dealer for a second opinion.

Not sure what the MIL bulb is, but the EGR port occasionally gets a buildup of soot that does not allow enough air to pass through, so it triggers a code. I would try cleaning that out, which is not hard but just a little time consuming. There is a DIY guide in the DIY section.

Like I said, I'd try another dealer and get a second opinion. At least you will have something to compare this way.

redlinevtec

Reaction score
Wow? That's a lot of money. I would do it for you with the part for half that amount. In the future if you ever need minor work on your car like what you paid for at the dealer or any major work PM me.

I also have P1491. It's driving me nuts. I cleaned out the EGR valve port, (pain in the *** to find something that fits and can clean it) and manually cleaned out the entire intake manifold, replaced all the gaskets and changed the EGR valve and still have the code! Now I don't care even though the CEL light is always on. It won't affect the performance of your car. If you happen to fix it, let me know. Good luck.

WTF is MIL?

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
malfunction indicator lamp...CEL.

could be the previous owner took the bulb out of the cluster, or covered it with electrical tape cause he didn't fix whatever was tripping the light...

SykVSyx

Reaction score
There are so many people in CA that can help you out with this, because if it is just a matter of a blown bulb, it can be fixed easily enough, but taking out the gauge cluster can be tricky work.

If you husband is willing to do it, I believe there is a DIY(Do It Yourself) write-up on here. Otherwise, hopefully someone near your area will be willing to help you out with it.

jennelena

Reaction score

could be the previous owner took the bulb out of the cluster, or covered it with electrical tape cause he didn't fix whatever was tripping the light...
Well it worked before..IDK

jennelena

Reaction score
$1731 for changing the starter!? If none of the other issues were as big as that (and the starter is not a huge issue in the first place), they have not treated you well. I would go to another dealer for a second opinion.

Not sure what the MIL bulb is, but the EGR port occasionally gets a buildup of soot that does not allow enough air to pass through, so it triggers a code. I would try cleaning that out, which is not hard but just a little time consuming. There is a DIY guide in the DIY section.

Like I said, I'd try another dealer and get a second opinion. At least you will have something to compare this way.
It wasn't the starter that cost all that money others things that added up but nothing to crazy. This is my $1731's worth of work:

Starter
Pwr steering pump re-seal
Front motor mount
Valve adjust & valve cover gasket
Vtec solenoid gasket
Upper and lower radiator hoses
Engine oil seals behind timing belt= $1731

jennelena

Reaction score

Why do you say CEL? what does that mean?

jennelena

Reaction score
There are so many people in CA that can help you out with this, because if it is just a matter of a blown bulb, it can be fixed easily enough, but taking out the gauge cluster can be tricky work.

If you husband is willing to do it, I believe there is a DIY(Do It Yourself) write-up on here. Otherwise, hopefully someone near your area will be willing to help you out with it.

Thanks so much!

Back