muffler welding fitment problem

FallenAngelHIM

Reaction score
i am interested in getting a muffler welded onto my car until i can get a Cat Back system.

my only question is this, the inlet diameter is larger than the stock piping, yet i see a lot of cars with stock piping having mufflers welded onto it. does this mean that muffler shops can have a way to fit 2.5 mufflers onto stock pipes or that people get mufflers with stock pipe diameter inlets?

1998accordsirt

Reaction score
The shop will most likely have an expander. This is a tool used to expand piping to a larger diameter. They will be able to take your factory piping, expand it to the inlet of your muffler, slip the muffler on, and then either weld it together, or use an exhaust clamp. I would say they would most likely clamp it since it is alot easier than trying to weld it, and will seal it just as well.

Jeffro

Reaction score
I think you can get adapter pipes at Autozone or Advanced Auto Parts too and do it yourself. I used to have an exhaust put on that way until the stock pipe rusted through and it fell off anyway :mad:

BlkCurrantKord

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I think, save the money for the muffler and install and put it towards your catback.

Jeffro

Reaction score
That's always the better solution, unless you're getting the muffler for free like I did :thumbsup:

retroshark

Reaction score
dont weld a muffler on! please, it sounds so ricey! and if you do, most likely, if its a good shop, they will have a big tool to flare the piping, and if its like half an inch they need to flare, most likely they will use a step up pipe. but again, just save the money for a cat back, or buy mine, im selling it for 150 dollars LOL

Jeffro

Reaction score
Clamp then weld the edge for me, please... But next will be a full cat back... Anything else just feels Ghetto to me :driving:

talontsiawd

Reaction score
Just get a reducer. You can get them many places, or i'm sure the exhaust shop will have it. I'd get a used rear section/muffler so you can go back to stock easily. You probably won't like the sound and won't feel the gain, it's pretty much a cosmetic mod. There's a good chance you'll change your mind. You probably don't actually need to worry about anything though, any exhaust shop that is the slightest bit confident can do this.

Back