need help! car jerks when at 4k rpms :(!

jdmblazn420

Reaction score
so recently i was on the freeway and i was doing a 3rd gear pull and was going around 80mph then accidently shifted into 2nd gear like a retard.. i took it out of second gear in like less then a second as soon as i felt it downshift. my car seems to run fine no smoke or noises out of the ordinary but no matter what gear im in once i hit 4k rpms it jerks and wont rev past 4k. is it safe for me to be drive at low rpms until i can get it fixed? someone said i might of blew my ecu but i dont know. oh and also my check engine light is now on too. i really need help whats wrong with the car?i have a 2001 4cyl coupe and i am very new to this website and forums and threads and all that and i would really appreciate some advice. thank you

Last edited:

chaby_91

Reaction score
Why would you rev over 3k rpm? ... yes, totally safe

as for the 4k limit, first, read the CEL code... ask a mechanic

I'm pretty sure it's impossible to blow an ECU by downshifting. Seems to me like your vtec as problems, but I might be wrong

Last edited:

x5carl3tMurd3rx

Reaction score
could be a bunch of things since you over revved it. figure out what the code is for and I might be able to help

kashmeister

Reaction score
because you took it out quick, you probably didnt mess anything up too bad.

if it wont go over 4k RPM, then the code is P1259 (VTEC malfunction)

check your oil level, add some if needed

reset your ecu (pull clock fuse on pass side for 30secs)

drive around, do some WOT runs. if the light doesnt come back on, youre fine

jwong512

Reaction score
You probably burned a lot of oil by doing that downshift. Run the code to see what the problem is first. It most likely is a Vtec malfunction problem which you can fix by pouring more oil in your car.

redlinevtec

Reaction score
You probably burned a lot of oil by doing that downshift. Run the code to see what the problem is first. It most likely is a Vtec malfunction problem which you can fix by pouring more oil in your car.

I downshift sometimes on the freeway at about 4.5k-4.9k RPMS lol and don't burn any oil. Unless his rings are toast than maybe. It won't hurt your engine.

Are you auto or 5spd? I know some auto people like to think they have a 5spd. If your auto don't do that.

Back