Catalytic Converter

nhldogg

Reaction score
Alright so as of now i have a custom test pipe on my 98 Accord v6 Sedan. I will be needing to pass emmisions here soon and do not have my old catalytic converter. What is the easiest and cheapest way to go about getting a catalytic converter that will be similar to a test pipe but will still pass emmisions? I had a high flow cat a while back and it will not pass emissions either..

WHEEELMAN

Reaction score
1. find an OEM cat
2. gut OEM cat
3. weld in a pipe inside the gutted cat
4. use o2 sensor SPARK PLUG defouler trick

-- ECU will still read the sensor as good when they check OBDII
-- Visual inspection will be good because all they will see is an OEM cat

that's my 2 cents

makdaddy

Reaction score
thats a lot of work wheel man, wouldn't it be easier just to find a junkyard cat or weld one on?

WHEEELMAN

Reaction score
thats a lot of work wheel man, wouldn't it be easier just to find a junkyard cat or weld one on?

That's what i meant. Find one. If you can find a junkyard that is willing to sell one, get it. Although Federal Law prohibits sale of used converters.

Why would you weld on a converter? They bolt on. Either way, it sounds like the OP must have an OEM cat. Especially if his county does visual inspections. When I lived in Tennessee, they checked for my OEM converter.

Sounds like the OP wants to retain his cat-delete performance while passing inspection. There are only 3 ways I know to do this is:

1. Like I mentioned above, modify your OEM converter
2. Swap out the cat-delete with an OEM converter. Go to inpsection. Come back home and swap out the converter for your cat-delete.
3. Pay the inspector to pass you

option #3 may or may not be cheaper than buying a used OEM cat from a junkyard or an individual depending on how greedy the inspector is. You might be able to get by with paying them $50. I know a couple peeps that pay their inspector that amount.

makdaddy

Reaction score
Thank god i dun have to do all that stuff since i work at a mechanic shop and i just pass my own car

iROYAL

Reaction score
Wheelman's first suggestion seems to be the best. This way, you never ever will have to worry about it again.

I disagree, the gutted cat will not pass the inspection. Sure it will pass visual, sure it will pass CEL check, but it will not pass the sniffer.

WHEELMAN said:
2. Swap out the cat-delete with an OEM converter. Go to inpsection. Come back home and swap out the converter for your cat-delete.

This is what OP should do.

Last edited:

pattywak

Reaction score
I have a test pipe on my car and I live in Tennessee. They plug into the car and also do a visual inspection. I've only been through emissions once with my current setup, and when the chick went to stick the mirror under my car she didn't notice anything out of the ordinary, went about her business, and I passed.

One of two things happened:
1. She saw that I didn't have a cat, and didn't care.
2. The car was too low to her mirror to get an angle on it.

Either way I hope the same thing happens next time.

Back