For the experts : Timing pulleys

chaby_91

Reaction score
Before you read this, know that english is not my first language so there may be some words that I don't know, making some sentences hard to understand. If anything, mention it and I'll correct it.

I was on the way to change the timing & balancer belts on the accord and sh*t happened. When I removed the crank pulley, the metal pin synchronising both belts/pulleys came with it. I did not notice this right away and when I turned the shaft to allign the marks, everything went from wrong from there.

The timing belt pulley isn't aligned with the shaft anymore. and when i try to turn any of them, they won't move. I can't remove the gap I somehow created.

What i'm asking is : Do any of you guys know how to turn the shaft or the pulley? Or do I have to remove everything...

I'll work on that tomorrow, by removing everything...

Edit: 5 spd

here is some pics of what I'm talking about

This si the balancer belt pulley, which I can move freely. You can't really see, but the other pulley in the back isn't aligned with the groove in the shaft
Q84Cn.jpg

This is where the other pulley's groove is
V5oQE.jpg

OKZRp.jpg

This is the pin that holds them all together
OemBN.jpg

this is how it should be, but this is how it is not
bX5hW.jpg

Last edited:

makdaddy

Reaction score
Put the crank shaft pulley bolt back on and turn it back to original timing mark

chaby_91

Reaction score
Not that simple. The last picture is not mine. Look at pics 2 & 3. This is where the groove of the smaller pulley is compared to the groove on the shaft

Edit: I think I'll have to remove both pulleys and put them back correctly

HondaLuver83

Reaction score
Your just going to have to remove them and make sure u put that key in there.

F23A1AT

Reaction score
It should just slide off of there. Pull the pulley off and put it back in the right place.

x5carl3tMurd3rx

Reaction score
ya pretty simple just pull the pulley's back off line up the keyways and put it back on the crankshaft with the key in the keyway.

BlkCurrantKord

Super Moderator
Reaction score
As everyone else already said...

Pulley bolt is already out, pull it off, align, insert keyway. Continue with timing job.

chaby_91

Reaction score
I'm almost done now I just have to put coolant back in and try it. I fixed my problem with a hammer and flathead screwdriver.

thx everyone

Back