Weird sound under the hood

Frisky Arab

Reaction score
When I was driving to school this morning I noticed a strange sound from under my hood. It doesn't effect anything with my driving and no lights or anything turned on, but I am positive it should not sound like this. Sounds like one of those little handheld fans blowing under the hood. I made a video with my phone on the way, but you can't hear the noise over the sound of my exhaust... I think I might just be a bit low on oil, and my buddy with the celica agrees and says same thing has happened to him. I'll see whats up when I get in the shop.

*EDIT: I'm supposed to be going to a car show tonite and it's a bit of a drive so I don't want this to develope into anything when I'm like 25 miles from home.

Last edited:

fastflyinaccord

Reaction score
why wouldn't you take the video when you are in the school parking lot with the hood up? Is it only when you drive? Did you check to make sure that none of the plastic valences under the car are hanging?

BTW, 25 miles is a far drive :jae:

Frisky Arab

Reaction score
why wouldn't you take the video when you are in the school parking lot with the hood up? Is it only when you drive? Did you check to make sure that none of the plastic valences under the car are hanging?

BTW, 25 miles is a far drive :jae:

Yeah it only happens when I hit the accelerator. And yeah I exagerated that lol idk how far away the show is exactally, but I would prefer that my car can get me home.

kwak123

Teehee
Reaction score
mine does the same... particularly when the A/C is on, my guess is some belt is squeaky a little lol

Frisky Arab

Reaction score
mine does the same... particularly when the A/C is on, my guess is some belt is squeaky a little lol

I didn't have my a/c on, but the same thought crossed my mind. I really hope it just needs oil because that is a really easy fix.

nsjames

Reaction score
I didn't have my a/c on, but the same thought crossed my mind. I really hope it just needs oil because that is a really easy fix.

Why didn't you just check the oil in the school parking lot?

it's just a dipstick. If I "thought" the oil was low I would check it, rather than balling up the insides of my motor.

Frisky Arab

Reaction score
Why didn't you just check the oil in the school parking lot?

it's just a dipstick. If I "thought" the oil was low I would check it, rather than balling up the insides of my motor.

I did check my oil. All fluids have been checked, and belts are good. Friend of mine told me it sounds like something internal, but I don't think anything internal could get messed up without having any effects or throwing a code. Tried making another vid under the hood with it popped, but my phone just isn't good enough to capture the sound.

mr. smith

Reaction score
is it like a slight whine kinda like a faint sound of a supercharger?

Frisky Arab

Reaction score
is it like a slight whine kinda like a faint sound of a supercharger?

Yes! Thats exactally it. I've been trying to think of how to describe the sound all day lol.

How many miles are on the car? It might be the timing belt tensioners or the bearings on the pulleys going out. Had a similar issue like this.

Pushin' 127k, and That was another thought. I gotta ask my uncle whether or not he changed the timing belt when he bought it cuz if he didn't that is what my money is on right now.

Back