HELP! Smoke (and fire?) from engine bay!

dwn2thalastroac

Reaction score
Ok so i was driving in the hot california sun and for some reason smoke started smelling from the engine.

I pulled over, and checked the coolant and oil and they were ok and there was plenty in the reservoir. I restarted the car and drove torwards home and the smoke faintly continued. I then parked at home left it running so i can check it.

Suddenly a faint flame came from this area out of nowhere, it then died out, and then smoke came out of the area every few moments.

I am not getting any check engine lights, increases in temperature, or anything notifying me of the problem. Any help?

Thanks!

THE SMOKE AND WHAT NOT IS COMING FROM THIS AREA! THE CAR IS A 2004 TL BASE, PERHAPS THE V6 MEMBERS CAN HELP?

348391i.jpg

UPDATE 4/18: So I brought it to South Coast Acura in Costa Mesa. Me being the daredevil I am, I drove it as in to there since it was only 6 miles away from my door step:driving:. It was kinda scary, I started smelling the burning right before I actually got to the dealership. Lucky for me, I barely was at any stand stills for the fluid to be able to leak excessively let alone the car to heat up. Although at the end of the day, I am safe and I saved 150 dollars. I DO NOT however suggest anyone do this. I just hate the damn thieving towing companies here in California, where they are KNOWN to steal cars straight off your driveway. I'll update how the repair went soon.

Last edited:

dwn2thalastroac

Reaction score
found out it was the power steering hose, and that there has been a recall on it.

found out there has been full out fires cause of this...looks like ima have to get it towed to a dealer :sigh:

knighthawk1104

Reaction score
Something similar happened to my friends wrx. The hose busted and squirted power steering fluid right on the exhaust manifold. You can already guess what happened next.

Smart thing to tow it.

1slosedan

Reaction score
Glad you figured out what it was so quickly. The dealership better be paying for the cost to tow the vehicle too...

dwn2thalastroac

Reaction score
Yea, ive read it has been a common issue on several acuras/hondas around the same year as my car. lesson learned: get recalls handled asap!

JMillerUA6

Grillin' rape steaks
Reaction score
Do you have a 2004 TL? If so the power steering hose was a safety recall that should have been done a LONG time ago. To the best of my knowledge nothing like this has been recalled on 6G V6's.

Back