Help! Car stalls/erratic throttle

Afarque3

Reaction score
Hello,

I have been having a problem with my 1999 honda accord. It has been going on since a hose ruptured and caused the vehicle to overheat.

Description:

When accelerating from idle, as I approach 2k rpms the engine actually starts to lose power from approximately 1750 rpms until after a few seconds, the engine suddenly regains power.

Also, the engine generally has the above mentioned problem at most areas of acceleration, especially when around the 2k rpms mark, but at higher cruising speeds (60+mph) there is no stalling.

If I had to guess from the way it sounds, it might be the timing. It sounds like it's not firing during the times I mentioned.

I will have to wait until thursday evening to put my scanner on it, but I will update this thread then. In the meantime, anyone know what MIGHT be the problem? Is it serious?

Thanks

nsjames

Reaction score
what got wet when the hose popped?

I've had TPS's with dead spots cause similar things, they don't like water.

If it was timing you should have a check engine light, as the ECM monitors both crank and cam position.

Afarque3

Reaction score
Well, I believe any wires around the back left side of the engine(around the thermostat) must have gotten wet.

I would like to further explore the idea of the throttle position sensor being faulty. Sounds better than the timing being off lol

Thanks, I will keep updating.

Afarque3

Reaction score
It was very bad. I ended up replacing the head because of it.

Also, I have replaced the MAP sensor with no results.

Edit: Cannot limp it to autozone until I can get a radius rod for it, pothole just ate it up unfortunately.

Back