HELP. Fuel pump problem?

hirichard

Reaction score
My 99 v6 coupe doesn't start when I try turning it on. I've checked the fuses and relays and they're okay. When I spray some fuel into the throttle body it starts right up.

So my questions are:

What could cause this? Fuel pump clogged?

Where are the fuel injectors for our car(V6 specifically), maybe I can clean/replace them?

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

J30MAN

Reaction score
Re: HELP. Fuel not reaching throttle body

Our cars have a non-servicable fuel filter so it shouldn't be that.

hirichard

Reaction score

Okay thanks, so what could be the problem since the fuel isn't supposed to go in to the TB?
The car DOES start when i spray fuel or starter spray into the TB, but doesn't when I don't spray. Where are the fuel injectors for our car(V6 specifically), maybe I can clean/replace them?

x5carl3tMurd3rx

Reaction score

lol well when I first read the tittle I was like :eh: what do you need help with? its not supposed to go to your throttle body.

NotNice

Reaction score
clean yur throttle body. mmine had trouble starting and then i cleaned it out it was fine.

jwong512

Reaction score
Your throttle body/intake manifold is probably clogged up. Just clean it out with some carb cleaner. To manually clean the fuel injectors, it would be way too much of a hassle and would take forever as they're really small and I'm sure they're not easy to get to. Just pour some Chevron Techron fuel injector cleaner into your gas tank, top it off, and just drive it off. There is a harsher cleaner and a less harsher cleaner. If you never used fuel injector cleaner before, I would recommend the harsher one. You can tell as the harsher one is recommended for every 5k or something where the regular one is recommended every 1k.

nsjames

Reaction score
stick your head under the car next to the tank and have someone try the start it. You should hear the fuel pump hum. If not, pull the access panel and verify you have 12V there. If you do, chekc the ground in the harness.

If you have 12V and have good ground but no pump, you need new pump.

The other "quick" method to diagnose is to smack the bottom of the tank with your hand a few times while someone cranks it. if the pump takes off and runs the car will start, but you still need a new pump.

There is also a fuel pressure relief valve on the fuel rail, find it and dpress it. There should be a stream of pressurized fuel that squirts out, if not, pump.

hirichard

Reaction score
Your throttle body/intake manifold is probably clogged up. Just clean it out with some carb cleaner. To manually clean the fuel injectors, it would be way too much of a hassle and would take forever as they're really small and I'm sure they're not easy to get to. Just pour some Chevron Techron fuel injector cleaner into your gas tank, top it off, and just drive it off. There is a harsher cleaner and a less harsher cleaner. If you never used fuel injector cleaner before, I would recommend the harsher one. You can tell as the harsher one is recommended for every 5k or something where the regular one is recommended every 1k.

Thanks Johnson! I'll try this first.

stick your head under the car next to the tank and have someone try the start it. You should hear the fuel pump hum. If not, pull the access panel and verify you have 12V there. If you do, chekc the ground in the harness.

If you have 12V and have good ground but no pump, you need new pump.

The other "quick" method to diagnose is to smack the bottom of the tank with your hand a few times while someone cranks it. if the pump takes off and runs the car will start, but you still need a new pump.

There is also a fuel pressure relief valve on the fuel rail, find it and dpress it. There should be a stream of pressurized fuel that squirts out, if not, pump.

Where would be the ground for the harness be? Actually what harness are you talking about?

nsjames

Reaction score
pull the carpet in the back, remove silver access panel.

You'll see a connector that goes to the sending unit. Follow the black wire and find the ground. That connector is also where you need to verify 12V. If you have 12V at the tank it's not a relay or fuse problem. This is the simplest way to quickly diagnose a failed fuel pump or an electrical problem if the pump is not functioning.

Did you find the fuel pressure relief valve and see if you had fuel pressure?

Back