Overheating '99

tobytigger

Reaction score
'99 2.3 vtec overheated with 195k. The heater hose had a rip in it. Replaced both heater hoses, thermostat, radiator cap and the temp gauge needle moved to hot and stayed there. Do I need to bleed the coolant system. How do I bleed the air? Thanks

F23A1AT

Reaction score
77d14153.jpg

12 mm

Emo236e

Reaction score
I'm guessing that you're saying that the car overheated after you made all of the repairs. To properly burp the system, you should elevate the front of your car so that your radiator is higher than the rest of the cooling system (preferably). Then, with your radiator cap off, start the car and turn the heater on full blast. Let it idle until you stop seeing bubbles coming out of the radiator. Add coolant as needed as some may ooze out of the radiator during this process. Also, since you've been having overheating issues, and your issues may be not just air in the system, make sure to watch your temp so that you don't overheat. Everytime you overheat an engine, you're hurting it. Heads may be warping, etc.
Once the bubbles stop appearing, then replace your radiator cap and lower your car. You've burped your system.

nsjames

Reaction score
I'm guessing that you're saying that the car overheated after you made all of the repairs. To properly burp the system,

or you could just use the bleeder that Honda thoughtfully provided as pictures above.

DarkSideAccord

nadeshiko fobz ftw..
Reaction score
take off the radiator cap and run the car till u see the coolant flowing...u'll see bubbles come up

slowrider87

Reaction score
or you could just use the bleeder that Honda thoughtfully provided as pictures above.

honda also stuck the bleeder valve on our slave cylinders 3/16" from the clutch line and 1/4" from the motor mount, right where virtually no wrench will fit, and ones that do won't turn. so if you think hondas "thoughtfully provided" items are always that great or easy to use you're sadly mistaken. the real question should be asked, is the radiator cap or the bleeder higher up in the system? I know for a fact, as i'm sure you do as well, the cap is higher on our cars. Air in liquid finds its way to the highest point.

it's easier to twist the rad cap a 1/4-1/2 turn and start the car, than jack with a bleeder valve for 20 minutes.

@OP- you said you replaced all those parts. are they OEM or aftermarket? did they give you the right thermostat? the right rad cap? make sure the cap is rated @ 1.1 Bar (approximately 16 psi) a lot of people think just any rad cap will do. they are wrong.

Last edited:

Emo236e

Reaction score
My thoughts exactly slowrider. Air travels up, seems easiest to drive up on ramps or a steep uphill and then open the radiator cap and let it idle.

OP, let us know if burping fixes things for you. If not, it may be time to start checking out other things.

Back