Losing compression FTL!

jcollins6

Reaction score
I have a 99 coupe F23A1 engine accord with 230,XXX miles on it that started running a little weird a last week.

I left work and the car was extra sluggish yesterday. Gas mileage is circling the drain, around 50-60 miles less than normal. For the entire trip it wouldn't rev past 4K. The enginge would bounce up and down like a govenor @ 4K.
If I let off the gas the idle goes straight down and stalls. After sitting for a half hour, at my destination, The car would idle past 4K but wouldnt hold anywhere. I would floor the gas and watch the tach hit 5K and then slip down to 0 and stall while I held the gas.

I hear an extra noise from the intake sounding like air is going somewhere, I just dont know where. The car didn't stay running without me keeping the gas fluctuating. It does idle really really rough with a tendency of stalling out.

The car is not overheating or throwing a CEL. I changed plugs and wires 3-4 months ago with NGK and pulled and cleaned the egr valve at the same time(thank you for the DIY!:bowdown:). I do not know if the timing belt has been changed after the 200K point.
The car does burn oil, I do not always get the smoke out of the tail pipe, but I do get a build up on the rear bumper that is a pain in the *** to clean. I do not see oil on the ground but I do have to fill it regularly. Oil level was fine yesterday.

I suspect either rings, or a bad cat. :confused:

I am going to do a compression test tonight to either confirm or rule out that area.

I paid a grand for this car for a dd to get better mileage than my truck. I don't know how much money I want to dump into this car, depending what is entirely wrong with it.

also, I had someone rev the engine while i put my hand by the exhaust and did feel exhaust coming out but my hand smelled like crazy exhaust gas ugliness even after washing my hands a couple times. The smell of the exhaust was very rich.

Help please, oh and I have searched through this site and have found some similiar threads but I want to present my issue to get some opinions.
Thanks in advance.

Jason

jcollins6

Reaction score
I tried unbolting the cat last night. I think I will have to take out the exhaust from the down tube connection and go from there. The effort from last night brought up the thought of; its a 99, the engine has a oil leak somewhere( I have no Idea where), miles are around 230K. The laundry list of parts/repairs is growing even bigger(front shocks, oil leak, bad converter, timing belt just because I dont know if it was done again, exhaust down tube is has a leak from the car bottoming out, tires) so what would be next then? With my luck it would be rings or a burnt valve or even worse the damn A/C would go out. FML

I bought this car to be a beater and a dd to help save cash at the pump. It is definitely not HUGE Caroline. I love the car for what it is, but I am begining to regret buying it.

HondaLuver83

Reaction score
230k miles is very high so I wouldnt be dissapointed if it does have low compression.

How bout you replace the rings, hone the block, get the head cleaned, repalce valve seals and polish the camshaft...call it a day and go another 200k??

That is of course you know how to rebuild engines and your crankshaft/rod bearings are all within' tolerances.:henry:

Last edited:
Back