Burning Coolant under Decell. Update, threw cel.

99CcordMTF23

Reaction score
Well, I am Kinda mad. Fine a couple Days ago, But lately it has been idling goofy, backfiring at idle, Stumbling, Ect. Starts up, Drives, Looses coolant. Its obviously an internal coolant leak. When the throttle is applied it revs fine, But lacks power, and when you let off the throttle a couple puffs of White smoke pop out. And when it is first started, it Smokes a while untill warm, then it goes away untill you let off the gas. It has a gutted cat, And no Check engine lights. I am going to assume the headgasket took a ****. Which is Retarded because i put a new head gasket on when i replaced the motor last april. I am just hoping the head isnt warped or anything stupid. IF that was the case, How much does it usually cost to get it Milled? Or should i try to pick up a head off of here?

Before you ask, it DOES NOT overheat. The Cooling fans dont even come on. The bastard never gets that hot.

Anyone with a Head that isnt ****-ed up, PM me.

Last edited:

99CcordMTF23

Reaction score
Re: Burning Coolant under Decell.

Another thing, I cant remember if it is supposed to do it or not, But when i pull the PCV valve out of the valve cover, There is Some serious Air shooting out of that thing. Never happend before though. possible compression loss.
*nevermind, checked the same thing on my CB7 F22a1. It does the same thing.*

Last edited:

Emo236e

Reaction score

Compression check to check for HG, you can also check by using a tool you can get at NAPA that will test to see if you have exhaust gases in your coolant (Blown HG). It shouldn't cost more than $75 to get the head redecked. It was $60 for the head on my old supra.

99CcordMTF23

Reaction score

Cool. It went away since I drove it around town. I bled the air from the cooling system, and opened up some vtec *** whoppin on the back streets, it's completely gone now. Wtf? Still feels like it's not as ballsy as before. I was running open exhaust, then I got a muffler and it hasn't been the same... And I know that a muffler wouldn't choke it out that bad.

Emo236e

Reaction score

Weird. Are you sure that it's not just the lack of intense exhaust sounds that come with a straight pipe? I can attest that placebo effect has fooled me as well after installing an intake/exhaust before. I imagine, taking away the sound would maybe reverse the placebo effect.
I would compression check anyway. If you were really loosing coolant and it wasnt just bubbling out of the reservior, there had to have been a leak somewhere inside the motor.

99CcordMTF23

Reaction score

Well, the funny part is, it had alot more power before the gutted cat and pipe ect. Oh well. As far as the coolant leak, I will check compression, ect.

99CcordMTF23

Reaction score

Update, threw codes p0304(cyl4misfire) and p1399(EGR or valves out of range.) been running like ****. Stumbling idle, ect. Smoking stopped...? Spark plugs look brand new, which they were in december, along with the wires. Ngks of coarse and oem wires. Now, there is the wierd rattling sound coming from what it sounds like, inside my header on cyl4. Literally sounds like a bolt rattling around in there. I am going to do a compression check, and clean the EGR, and stuff. The valve clearances on all the valves were .009" give maybe .002" on intake valves. Too tight? It does have some valvetrain noise when cold, but they all do.. Also, pulled dizzy cap. The metal jumper bar on the rotor was loose, like I thought it was going to fall off. Need a new one obviously, could be the culprit?

Emo236e

Reaction score
REplace the cap and see if that fixes things. The rattling by the header, are you sure it's not just the heatshield rattling on the header itself?

Honestly, I don't mean to scare you, but with the mysteriously missing coolant, I'm still wondering if there's something more internally wrong with your motor. Have you done a compression check yet? That may tell you more. If compression is low on a cylinder, there may be an internal issue.

99CcordMTF23

Reaction score
It has dc sports headers. No heat shields. I will pick up a rotor. I am a little surprised, the engine I put it only had 114k on it, and I replaced everything on it, seals gaskets, belts, ect. And it ran perfect for about a year, and now all of a sudden there might be something internally wrong. Lol damn hondas. It needs to quit acting like a chevy already.

Back