Painting Jeep fender flares

Status
Not open for further replies.

shavedaccord

Reaction score
So I took on a project to repaint my buddies faded Jeep fender flares and I ran into a huge problem. I'm not exactly sure what the hell is going wrong here but it's became a massive pain in the ***. I cleaned and prepped the surfaces accordingly. Wiped them with with Acetone, sprayed them with Bumper Black (made for plastics etc..) they dried and fish eyed. So I sanded them down to remove the fish eye, cleaned them again with Acetone, resprayed now they have this faded primer look in areas. I'm stumped as to what is needed to make these damn things spray-out right. Pictures below.

DSC05198.jpg

DSC05197.jpg

DSC05196.jpg

1NonlyAccord

Reaction score
im assuming your using parts store duplicolor acetone?
Dont..sand everything back off and use windex with amonina..then wax and grease remover.Rustoleum makes some..Stay away from parts store duplicolor wax and grease,and most other of there products like acetone..its junk.
hope that helps.

shavedaccord

Reaction score
im assuming your using parts store duplicolor acetone?
Dont..sand everything back off and use windex with amonina..then wax and grease remover.Rustoleum makes some..Stay away from parts store duplicolor wax and grease,and most other of there products like acetone..its junk.
hope that helps.
Your the first person to tell me not to use Acetone. The local body shop told me to wipe them down with Acetone, sand, then wipe down again and I should be good to go. Now it looks like I'll have to sand them down to bare plastic, which is going to take forever since I'll have to start with about 80grit and move up.

1NonlyAccord

Reaction score
your going to need to prime them if you going to do that..if you use 80grit then you need to go back over it with 180g before primer.and even then idk if rattle can primer will fill in 180g sand scratches.
Im just telling you out of my experience..acetone can work yes,just not duplicolors.

shavedaccord

Reaction score
your going to need to prime them if you going to do that..if you use 80grit then you need to go back over it with 180g before primer.and even then idk if rattle can primer will fill in 180g sand scratches.
Im just telling you out of my experience..acetone can work yes,just not duplicolors.
Well it's not Duplicolor Acetone.. it was another brand. What if I primed with a plastic primer rather than your standard primer. I plan on stripping them with 80 grit and working up to 600.

1NonlyAccord

Reaction score
if you sand the plastic before primer with 600 than it should be fine..but cant tell you 100%,i dont use to much rattle can to paint car panels. but from what I know from prepping cars in general it should work from what i said above.

shavedaccord

Reaction score
if you sand the plastic before primer with 600 than it should be fine..but cant tell you 100%,i dont use to much rattle can to paint car panels. but from what I know from prepping cars in general it should work from what i said above.
Do you think by just primering these it would fix the issue? I mean I have until Wednesday morning to get these done. So it's kind of urgent that I figure out a plan to get these fixed.

1NonlyAccord

Reaction score
in honest,you can just try some matte black paint? not just "bumper paint"..get some VHT engine paint if your worried about sun damage..should work..worth a shot spend another 6$

shavedaccord

Reaction score
in honest,you can just try some matte black paint? not just "bumper paint"..get some VHT engine paint if your worried about sun damage..should work..worth a shot spend another 6$
Well I'm not worried but he is. The way they sit right now makes it seem as if I messed them up. But with all the prep I done I don't believe I could have. I did talk to him and he did say that Armor All had been used on them for a number of years. So I'm thinking the Fish-eyes came from that being impregnated into the plastic. And in turn me using Acetone to insure a clean surface reacted some how, I don't know if the plastic is porous from sun exposure over time or what.

mkdb89-02se

Reaction score
only1 hit it on the head
gl with finishing it, wesday is so far away for small jobs
but def 2k primer those puppys

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back