Running over plastic bags can cost you .. Lots ..

Chris Vu

Reaction score
So here's my dilema .. I saw a giant piece of plastic fly off of some truck's cargo (dumbasses really need to tie their **** down properly ..) but didn't think much of it, because, well, it's a plastic bag .. After I ran it over, I looked in the rear view mirror to see if my car shat it out, but both me and the wifey didn't see it come out, so I just figured it melted to the exhaust cuz that has happened before .. When I got home and checked I saw the following ..

IMAG0366.jpg

IMAG0367.jpg

IMAG0368.jpg

So as you can probably see, it wrapped around the passenger side axle .. I unwrapped it, and shed a tear as I saw a huge gaping hole in the axle's boot .. There's some grease left inside, but not much .. So my questions are the following:

1) Is it safe to drive on it ? I gotta do stuff today, and hopefully I can find a shop to replace it tomorrow, though it might be hard seeing as to how it's the 4th of July and all.

2) Should I replace the boot or the whole axle ?

Asian Invasion

Reaction score
man you can drive on that sh!t for months before your axle goes out. It is almost as cheap to replace the axle as it is to replace just the boot when it comes to having a shop do it. I say drive on it and not worry about it until you start hearing it click really bad.

AllGOnoSHOW

Reaction score
If it were me I'd slap some hvac tape and put some Crisco on it for grease and drive. I use Crisco for my brakes also :lawl:.

honda_dude

Reaction score
my cv axle boot busted couple months ago. If u change it right away, u only need to change the boot but if u dont ur gunna hav to change the whole axle cause dirt will go in the boot and damage the cv axle.Mine was busted so i deided to just drive like that for a month or so and change the whole thing. It wasnt that bad to change. Check out Advance auto parts. the right side is $67.99 for the whole CV axle but if u check this site out, there are coupon code u can use to make it much cheaper. Ship to home or store pick up.

http://www.retailmenot.com/view/advanceautoparts.com

part: http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/we...y-GSP_15870339-P_945_R|GRP60007_841279085____

x5carl3tMurd3rx

Reaction score
just change the whole axle. and do it yourself. after you get the wheel off its literally four bolts.

Ghost Ryder

Reaction score
Do what u must. But don"t half @$$ it.

-Get it fixed soon. Get it fixed right.

I have had customers come to me trying to ride out the storm in simular situations. I have seen expensive complications with the repairs as a result. Its not safe.
Depending on your mechanical ability or your shop u choose to do it, replacing the axle usually is the most practical. After all, u are pulling it apart if you where to do just the boot any way.

Last edited:
Back