Squealing sound at low speeds...wheel bearing?

talontsiawd

Reaction score
My car makes a squealing sound at low speeds, basically what you hear from worn brakes. It doesn't happen while on the brakes, and it only happens at low speeds (5-10 MPH). Occasionally it will happen at higher speeds on left turns (35-45 MPH or so). It may do it at higher speeds on a left turn, there isn't any around me that are much faster.

Again, it is not the brakes, it happens with no brakes. It does sound the same as worn brakes, a metal on metal sound. It goes away over about 10 MPH in a straight line.

truWarier02

Reaction score
Hmm.. kinda sounds like a problem that I have, coming from the rear passenger side. I don't know what it is but it usually makes a sound (somewhat like a ear-ringing sound) when I'm going pretty slow through neighborhood areas.

Can you capture the sound on video?

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Not a wheel bearing, that's more of a lower toned droning sound. Are you sure it's going away over 10mph, or maybe you're not hearing it after that because your exhaust and/or wind noise is getting louder? I ask because the presence of the sound should be constant.

My car was making a screechy squeal sound both during braking and not braking, and it was the inside pad getting worn down to nothing and the metal pad plate was scraping the rotor.

Agree with checking to see if anything got stuck in that center groove in the brake pad. Also check dust shield clearance. Another thing could be the little metal brackets that are replaced each time you change pads, perhaps the center could have popped off the caliper and be scraping the edge of the rotor.

Here is the sound my car was making for a while...
http://www.6thgenaccord.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37031

talontsiawd

Reaction score
Not a wheel bearing, that's more of a lower toned droning sound. Are you sure it's going away over 10mph, or maybe you're not hearing it after that because your exhaust and/or wind noise is getting louder? I ask because the presence of the sound should be constant.

It is definitely going away at higher speeds and is not a consistent sound. Like I said, I can hear it at 35 MPH and above but only while making left turns. Hearing it on turns is actually a new thing. My car has actually been making this noise for awhile but it used to be so infrequent that I assumed it was cars next to me.

I actually checked all my pads about 3 months ago. I did have some metal built up in the groove of the rear passenger side brake pad. I cleaned it out. The noise wasn't so bad then but has gotten worse. Never thought to put them together.

I will take off my pads and report back. Thanks for the info, it sounds like brakes but because of the odd behavior, I thought it may be something else.

talontsiawd

Reaction score
any updates to report?

It is getting worse lol. I was going to take off my rear passenger side caliper off and see what's going on (about 80% sure it's coming from that wheel) but was too busy. I can't work on my car at my GF apartment complex so Sunday evening will be the soonest I work on my car.

talontsiawd

Reaction score
Sounds like time for 5lug swap :beer:

Trust me, if I wanted to go more aggressive on my wheels, and brakes for that matter (not oem brakes), I would do a 5 lug conversion in no time. I hate my brakes but love my wheels (they are some not some common Rays).

I get no burning smell, nothing like that. Just some subtle, but annoying noise.

I actually have had a problem with metal in the brake groove before, as said in a previous post. I am hoping I don't have to rebuild my rear caliper and it's just some debris in there. I would do it today but I don't feel comfortable using the stock jack without stands, even though I won't be under the car, I take no chances.

Back