Car starts then dies quickly. Now it won't start

chaby_91

Reaction score
5spd

For the last 2-3 days, it started and for 1-2 seconds ran at very low rpm (under 400), then went up 1k. It just did the same thing but died. Now, it won't start again. the starter is good, the battery too, it's 1/2 full. What could it be? Fuel pump?

Ask for more info if needed.

chaby_91

Reaction score
Possible, but the heat is not so bad here.

However...

I tried again... and the car started...
I guess it's fixed, for now...

Last edited:

saudiq9023

Reaction score
do u have any codes..try hooking up a scan tool it might trigger the check engine light to come on...I had a similar problem and I had to replace the entire throttle body with all the sensors attached...my problem was the IACV.

StuCoupe

Reaction score
does it happen when the car gets wet or when its really humid?

My accord was doing that when it got rained on or on really humid days. Turns out it was the distributer.

To check if its your distributer dry it out with a hair dryer when your car wont start. It will fire up once dryed out if that is the problem.

LeBirdNest

Titleist
Reaction score
main relay... or it could be the terminals on the alternator. check all wires coming from alternator.

HondaLuver83

Reaction score
Spray some starter fluid into the intake and try to start the vehicle. If it burps or farts...whatever..then you have a fuel problem. Most likely a burned out pump and its under the trunk carpet. If the pump is good then the pressure regulator is bad or a bad fuel filter.

If nothing happens with the starter fluid then you need to start at your ignition switch and work your way forward to the relay, then the distributor. then the distributor cap, then the spark plug wires and finally the spark plugs.

Heatsoak is not the answer to all starting issues, basically it means ur engine gets so hot it boils the gasoline in the lines.

lordofgroove

Reaction score
I had a similar problem 2 years ago and replacing the main relay fixed it, notorious problem apparently. I just this week had an issue where the car wouldn't start at all for several days, main relay was my first suspect due to the heat but that didn't fix it this time, after wasting lots of time troubleshooting different things including inspecting all ignition related fuses, verifying fuel pump was turning on, spraying starter fluid in the throttle body,verifying voltage ignition control module, etc, it ended up being the rotor button and/or distributor cap. Strange thing is they didn't appear worn at all which is why i dismissed them at first but one of the 2 items if not both were definately the culprit. Thankfully i got my money back on ICM and Plug wires that i didn't end up needing. Gonna hang onto the extra main relay though as they are a common item to go out on this car.

Back