Transmission Problem!

riCewu

Reaction score
Okay so just last Wednesday, I was driving around slow cruising. I felt a little slippage engaging in every gear. Then Thursday afternoon I went to pick my brother up from summer school, on the way home my transmission just went out.

I have had a CEL on for the AT Clutch Pressure Solenoid (still haven't replaced yet).

I've never dealt with any transmission before, so I just have a few questions.

A) Is it normal for the transmission to just become toast within 2 days?

B) If I'm slipping through first and second, can't even tell if I'm slipping in 3rd and 4th. But what are the odds of all the clutch packs going at the same time?

C) Any experiences with this? I want to narrow down my search on this issue.
---
My car starts accelerating for the first few inches normally, then boom it just revs then slams in gear and moves about 2-3 inches, then revs and slams in gear again.

I think it might have to do with the pressure solenoid (but its $400), because I've had the CEL on for about 3-4 months because car seemed to drive normal until the last two days. So I'm now leaning towards the solenoid, since its already warned me, I guess now its really just done and can't hold pressure.
---
D) I also read somewhere about cleaning the clutch pressure solenoid (the maze part) because it might be just clogged up with clutch debris. I guess I could try that when I have time and clean it out with some brake cleaner or some type of carbon cleaner.

Anyways, thanks in advanced. I did search, but can't find anything similar to my issue.

PS. I know I should've done the solenoid long time ago, but I had other mods I wanted to finish before hand. :ohsnap:

flippinaccord

Reaction score
the problem is clutch material is gone, so it takes more heat (friction) to not slip on the shift. once this starts its only a matter of time before its totally gone.

flushing the fluid removes almost all the old fluid, which contains that clutch material, which makes it even harder to grab the gear instead of slipping. basically, plan on a rebuild soon.

riCewu

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, sorry for the late reply, been on vacation. Anyways my car doesn't even like to move any more than a meter before it sputters out again haha! I'm going to be rebuilding when I'm back from vacation.

Back