overheating, its confusing

Vomit_Comit

Reaction score
when i drive the car it over heats when im at stops , but theres no fan. but both fans work with a/c.
what could be the issue here to not make the fan come on onits own?

Last edited:

Bax

Reaction score
I'm not sure, but I think this happened when my thermostat broke and got stuck in the closed position.

sikjdm

Reaction score
are you i4 or v6? i have horrible memory LOL

but anyways, if inline 4, let the car warm up for a good 10 mins or so then toch the lower radiator hose on the left side of the bay right next to the battery and see if it is hot to the touch. if it is then i say temp switch but if it's cold then it's the thermostat.

flippinaccord

Reaction score
the fact that it comes on with the a/c means the fan circuit is fine, so you have 2 other possible causes.

one is the thermostat isnt opening so the sensor never see's the hot coolant so the fan isnt turned on. the other is the sensor/switch is bad. regardless of anything else these are your only 2 possible problems. you can do both yourself for under $75, or pay a local shop about $150 for the complete job to replace both.

Vomit_Comit

Reaction score
its the sensor on the top the the coolant housing, i bought the part then a week later it started doing it again

truWarier02

Reaction score
Could be that your thermostat is stuck closed like some have said. I just had mine replaced yesterday after it threw a CEL for a couple months. Is your CEL on? If it is and the code is P0128, then it's most likely the thermostat. Luckily, mine was stuck open so there was no overheating or other big issues.

It should be less than 20 bucks for a new one at autozone and a couple bucks for a gasket if it doesn't already come with it. But I would just get an OEM one from the dealer, which should still only be about $20.

FunnyVictor86

Reaction score
Go to your local auto parts and buy yourself a "fail-sale" t-stat w/ oem recommended specs. With the "fail sale" t-stat it will stay open rather than staying shut when and if it ever stops working again.

SCARFACE2392

Reaction score
are you losing antifreeze?

mine did the same thing, i replaced the sensor on the thermostat housing and it went away and my fans kicked on, couple weeks later started heating up again, turns out i had a leak on one of the seals in front of where the radiator hose mounts up to engine block, the black gasket... so i bought a new seal, cleaned off the build up filled it up with antifreeze and she runs fine now

Back