Go Back   6th Gen Accord DIY and Performance Forums > General > Off Topic > Non-6GA Car Chat

Non-6GA Car Chat A place for everything else that isn't accord-related

Register to remove these ads

Old 11-02-2011, 12:50 PM
Be a better driver

Points: 73,126, Level: 83 Points: 73,126, Level: 83 Points: 73,126, Level: 83
Activity: 21% Activity: 21% Activity: 21%

RedRyder has their shit togetherRedRyder has their shit togetherRedRyder has their shit togetherRedRyder has their shit togetherRedRyder has their shit togetherRedRyder has their shit together
Member Photo Albums
Reinventing the E30 M3

Interesting article. The comparison made seems a bit odd at first, but as you read you’ll understand where it’s going. I personally would love to stop seeing worthless econoboxes with no soul being pumped out, and put some passion back in driving them. And let me be clear, I'd take a 20 year old M3 before any new Mazda2, etc.

http://magazine.windingroad.com/issue/75/

If the article doesn’t load, just click on “Contents” on the right, and then click on “Greenformance: Reinventing the E30 M3”

Old 11-02-2011, 01:03 PM
they dont think it
Points: 113,061, Level: 100 Points: 113,061, Level: 100 Points: 113,061, Level: 100
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

ryan s has their shit togetherryan s has their shit togetherryan s has their shit togetherryan s has their shit together
Re: Reinventing the E30 M3

well...yeah.

i've posted that argument almost verbatim here a few times maybe even last week...
Old 12-20-2011, 07:34 PM
Points: 32,232, Level: 55 Points: 32,232, Level: 55 Points: 32,232, Level: 55
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

talontsiawd has their shit togethertalontsiawd has their shit togethertalontsiawd has their shit togethertalontsiawd has their shit together
Re: Reinventing the E30 M3

I understand from a pure driving perspective. I thought an E30 M3 was going to be really loud, harsh, etc, just like the writer says. In reality, it is very civil.

The formula for the M3 seems simple in today's world. It isn't incredibly powerful, they didn't through their biggest engine in. It shouldn't be hard to make any decent car handle as well.

The appeal of the E30 M3 is this. It isn't merely a supped up E30. It is a wide body, it has individual throttle bodies, it pedal assembly feels like a race car.

That's why the E36 never had the same appeal. You could change out the bumpers, do some suspension work and some bolt ons and you had, essentially, and M3.

I do agree with you though. I would love to see something interesting in the small car segment. We get a treat every now and then (AE86, Datson 510, etc) but not a lot. The Civic or 240SX could be lumped in, IMO, but they never gave the same "feeling" of something special. Then again, I could probably count how many stock S14 I have seen in the last 10 years that were stock on one hand, I so I do think that fits when you discount current trends.

I know people who love their XB's for functionality. Many people think that new Fiat is cute as can be. But that doesn't last. I think the new Mini was supposed to be this but it just didn't ever have that "pedestrian" appeal.