Horsepower

Status
Not open for further replies.

justvtec

Reaction score
I was at work (I was bored) and i was wondering is there a difference between 4cyl Horsepower and 8cyl Horsepower??????????????????

TitaniumACC

Reaction score
V8's have a lower power-band, so all the horsepower available at low rpm. But they can't (for almost all V8) rev high like inline4.. V8 have a bigger displacement so a lot lot lot more torque.

You want to know if a 400hp 4cylinder can match a 400hp V8 ? Prolly..

So many factors can make that question hard to answer.. It all depend on power/weight ratio. If you compare a 400hp CRX which weights about 900kg with a 400hp Corvette which weights about 1420kg... you've got your answer!!

whitey2kaccord

Reaction score
TitaniumACC said:
If you compare a 400hp CRX which weights about 900kg with a 400hp Corvette which weights about 1420kg... you've got your answer!!

In other words, the CRX will SPANK THAT A$$!!! :D

blacknight

Superman, uh mod
Reaction score
But, also take into consideration too much HP and not enough weight can make a bad combination.
Also note that a heavy car usually has an adequate amount of torque to get the car moving.
A lot of people forget about that one word (torque) and how much of an important part it plays when moving a vehicle
for Example:
The 2006 Mercedes BenzS65-AMG weighs a whopping 4,700lbs. BUT, it's torque rating is 738ft lbs. of torq.
The same thing with diesel powered vehicles. Normally, they don't produce a lot of HP, but the torque is impressivly high.
Personally, I'd take a 400hp V8 over a 400hp 4cyl.
Why?
more than likely the torq. of the V8 will be pretty impressive when compared to the 4banger...which will probably have some type of force induction because I have yet to see a naturally aspirated (All Motor) 4cyl over crank out over 300hp.
So in actuality, the only REAL replacement for displacement is........drum roll please........TECHNOLOGY

acrod99

Reaction score
more than likely the torq. of the V8 will be pretty impressive when compared to the 4banger...which will probably have some type of force induction because I have yet to see a naturally aspirated (All Motor) 4cyl over crank out over 300hp.
So in actuality, the only REAL replacement for displacement is........drum roll please........TECHNOLOGY

315hp at the front wheels!
9.85 @ 135.66 MPH
Skunk2's Project Delta RSX ;)
Skunk2 Racing

Wildman

Read the rules
Reaction score
lol, that's not any more correct.

the whole point of more displacement is to add more cylinders. v8 engines aren't any more or less efficient than smaller engines - they don't make more/less hp per cylinder. if anything, you could argue that bigger engines are LESS efficient on average.

Muyo

Reaction score
Damn BK, you should just go out and get some crappy domestic if you love torque so much... I always see you posting Mustangs and **** :rolleyes: . If I didnt know that you owned an Accord I would say that you hate imports.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back