Another exhaust question...

LCPLPunk

Reaction score
Ok, i searched on the forums and didn't come up with any concrete answers.

First question: Why does the piping between the two mufflers look squished/oval? Would there be any performance gain if that part was replaced with stock, round piping?

2nd question: Will the stock dual exhaust from the V6 Accord work on the 4 cylinder? Does it bolt right up or are there hanger spots that need to be added?

I took some pictures of the Prelude exhaust but it looks like it may be too big for the spot..

100_0552.jpg

100_0551.jpg

Thanks!

Last edited:

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
1. there would be very little gain from round pipe, and not much more from an entire cat-back unless youve got something serious going on under the hood. welcome to accord tuning :sigh:
2. ummm...i forgot the answer...du3ce knows though (i think, man my memory is baaad...gettin old lol).

dynasty

Reaction score
off topic question. why would you want to convert a v6 muffler to a 4 cylinder? wouldn't that lose hp since it's hard to release that much air onto a single pipe? or maybe i never took science?

blacknight

Superman, uh mod
Reaction score
A stock V6 Exhaust will not bolt up directly to a 4 banger.
You will need to customize hangers for the left side.
Also, it would be a waste because you'll lose back pressure which will affect your torque. The last thing an Accord can afford to lose is torque

LCPLPunk

Reaction score
Hehe, all too true for a 4 banger, but i really like the way it looks. I just got my prelude exhaust in yesterday and it's very large from what i can tell compared to the stock Accord one, which makes me feel it might not fit.

I have a 4 cylinder, not the V6.

I think I might just make that oval pipe into a round one just to be different. :)

NoSkillz

Reaction score
If ur gona put duel exhaust on a 4 banger and don't plan on boosting go for smaller piping sizes. A drop in backpressure on our cars won't help unless we are running boost so try to limit the drop as much as possible with the smaller piping diameter. Unfortinatly due to my bodykit and the two exhaust points in the rear bumper i will end up converting to duel exhaust. The problem now is getting the sound i want :(

LCPLPunk

Reaction score
U can always use resonators...OR..make the 2nd muffler non operational. It might sound like a dumb idea, but if people can't actually see that it isn't hooked up it won't matter.

I think i'm just going to use the Prelude muffler. It is a single muffler with 2 tips, so i don't think it'll kill too much of the low end (i hope).

talontsiawd

Reaction score
I think the prelude muffler is the way to go. You won't loose any low end, probably won't gain high end, but have a look you like.

You can even just weld on a dual tip to your exhaust. You have to cut the outlet shorter on your existing muffler though. And you can probably get one you don't need to weld if you want to DIY and can't weld. Make sure you find one where the tips are close enough so that you can't see where they meet at the Y. Alot of bimmer guys do this to get the quad exhaust look.

Back