help with shock choice

Jxi8s2k

Reaction score
wassup guys. i'm a member of honda-tech, but i'm sick of that place. they have a lot of good info, but the people there are most often bitches and smart asses. i like this place better because of the personalitities that are here.
anywayysss...i asked this question on honda-tech and got zero helpful answers.

right now on my car, i have ground control coilovers and koni yellow shocks. not even after 4-5 months of use with no more than 7000 miles, all my shocks blew out. how gay. after riding around on the Ground controls, i got tired of the stiff/bouncy/uncomfortable ride. before i bought the ground controls, i had set of eibach sportline springs. i've made up my mind to swap out the ground controls with teh sportlines.

now my question is...is that which shock should i pair the eibachs up with for MAXIMUM COMFORT! i'm not looking for a a handling machine. i thought that i would just get the car lowered for a nice look/better handling and then slap on a sway bar to prevent body roll. i contacted koni about the warrenty, and i'm sure that they won't cover my shocks under warrenty. why? cause i just have bad luck with stuff like that. nothing of mine is ever covered under warrenty. about the shocks...which should i get? i've researched and so far got out these three shocks:
Tokico Hp
Tokico Illuminas
KYB AGX

i also don't want to spend 500+ like i did for my yellows so please..help a brother out. and let me know where yall bought your stuff from. thanks

Sketch o5

Señor Greengo
Reaction score
the tokico HP's (blues) should suit you just fine i would say. i have the illuminas and theyre a great shock, cuz tokico is a really good company. my friend has those KYB's and he hates them and his are blown out as well, haha. i believe the KYBs are advertised as stock replacements? i think ive heard that somewhere before.

wg2k7

Reaction score
doesnt koni have a lifetime warranty on their shocks? id at least try to get your money back

theaccordian

Reaction score
tokico hp's, Ive ridden in my friends civic with tokico handling package (matched tokico springs/shocks) , the ride feel's BETTER than stock.

Last edited:

1998accordsirt

Reaction score
I have the HPs matched with Tein S-Tech springs and I love 'em! Nice firm ride, decent handling, and good amount of drop. Best shock for the money IMO.

cg6boi

Reaction score
the Hp's are the sex especially for the price, ive ridden on mine for over 25,000 miles and they are still goin strong, nice ride with the balls to handle the twisties if you wanna do that sort of thing

theaccordian

Reaction score
but supposedly konis are as good as it gets. which is what u have now. So I dunno if youre gonna be happy with tokicos.

Jxi8s2k

Reaction score
yeahh i see what all yall are saying. see i'm in a hole cause i think, if i remember correctly, the koni guys said that they would send me a new set, and i would then send mine back, and charge my card. if it was covered under warrenty, the would refund me my money. if it wasn't...then they would only charge half or soemthing like that?

talontsiawd

Reaction score
I really don't see how you blew your konis. Right after my bro got my 5th gen off of me, he put in some koni yellows. That was probably 6 years ago and atleast 60k miles. He didn't have the most aggressive set up but he did have H&R race springs, then switch to their sport springs within probably the last year. The fact you blew all of them...what are you doing, lol.

I'd talk to koni and see what's up. On my bro's car, they were either stiff or bouncy because of the springs on his first set up. Now it's pretty comfortable at whatever he set them at, but his car has like 160k so it still rides sort of poorly but it's because all his bushings are shot or urathane. It's not even the ride really, just alot of noises. You shouldn't have those issues.

Back