DIY Lip Repair (in process)

talontsiawd

Reaction score
Ok, i'm just going to update this as i go, NOT ONE COMPLETE POST that explains everything....

Ok, alot of people have abs lips. THey break, they crack etc.

Lots of people might have something like this.
crackcf2.jpg

My solution that i think will work very well is JB Weld. But, i think 80% of the reason it cracks is fitment issues. It's a weak point for sure but fitment is the problem. Soooo, we'll start to fix while on the car. Get your masking tape out. We don't want anything on the bumper cover.
tapezn6.jpg

Rough the area up and throw some JB Weld on it. THis is a bit sloppy but it's going to get sanded, no big deal. Make sure it gets inside the crack.
epoxyja2.jpg

Get out 200 grit or so now and get to sanding. It should be smooth to the touch when you are done.
sandedbi4.jpg

Now lets reinforce the inside for fun. I used abs cement
abscementoy7.jpg

It has a little foam ball easy to apply. It doesn't have to be pretty. This will actualy chemically bond to the abs. It's not super strong though, that's why we used JB weld too. You can use extra on parts you feel need a bit more strength.
appliedau3.jpg

Now we need some primer. I use filler primer first as it fills the imperfections. It's still wet so it looks "glopy" on top but it's actually pretty smooth. It really doesn't matter if you have imperfections though, your are going to sand this more. You can see where the repair was though, no cracks, etc.
primeredcy7.jpg

talontsiawd

Reaction score
Part 2 (i'm going to leave you hanging even more....)
I know some of you may have something like this going on. This is totally my bro's fault but i've done it before as well
scrapeje7.jpg

I first hit it with some filler primmer after i roughed it up. I knew very well that it wasn't going to help much but it helps me see how far i need to go. Forgot to take pic.

I knew i needed to use some filler. This looks sloppy but 98% of it (exactly) will be sanded off
bondoscrapewy0.jpg

As far as i got for now.

talontsiawd

Reaction score
But i did do a bit more. I'm sure if you have had your lip on for awhile, especially if you have repainted, you have this
chipif1.jpg

More bondo. Again, sloppy but it will be sanded away. Be sure to rough everything up before you apply.
bondlipgw3.jpg

Now you may have other areas like this on the bottom. It's up to you if it's worth fixing. For me, i just paint over (this will be my third paint job). It's not a sort cut. It's going to scrape again, don't worry about it.
bottomxd8.jpg

Anyway, sand the filler, didn't take a picture but i'm sure you can figure it out if you are attempting this. Make sure there is next to filler left, just smooth to the touch. No pic.

Then hit it with some filler primer incase you missed some little nics and scratches. It was hard to get a pic but you can see it's smooth now. A bit of orange peel from the filler primmer but this needs to go through more sanding.
primedfrontbs5.jpg

And that's how far i got today.

talontsiawd

Reaction score
Sorry, this DIY is going to be as it comes, i figure it can help people who like to do their own work. It's just too hard to write it up at once so i'm going to do it as i go. Should be done in the next coulple of days.

My car looks so naked, lol
nolipyr0.jpg

talontsiawd

Reaction score
hancockd said:
^^ from your first post...aaahhhh my savior !!! :rock:
This hasn't been put to the test yet, remember that. I think it should work, who knows. I can't make it worse though.

hancockd

SLO CG2
Reaction score
true true but i didnt even have my lip on long enough to enjoy it before it started tearing. (under 10 min.) at this point anything is worth trying rather than tossing it and getting another!

wg2k7

Reaction score
mine is really cracked right there, im surprised its still on the car. once i go to college i will be doing alot of highway time to get there and back during breaks and such, and i dont want it falling off on the highway. i might look into this. can you just repaint one part of it or does it have to be the whole thing?

talontsiawd

Reaction score
You can repaint parts, that was my origianl plan until i got a closer look. Use this clear coat "fade away" i think it's called. It's for blending. Works pretty well. YOu can get it through the eastwood co.

talontsiawd

Reaction score
Ok, i did a bit of sanding in the dark. It actually is comming alot. In retrospect, i wish i just stripped it, made the repairs and refinished but oh well. It will probably come out nicer since i have a bunch of paint to fill alot of the imperfections it came with. Pics tomorrow if i have a chnace to work on it.

Back