4cyl cold air intake

AFAccord

Reaction score
One piece is application specific (98-02). Two piece evidently is versatile enough to work in both 94-97 and 98-02 accords. Marketing...

xluben

Reaction score

xluben

Reaction score
i just realized that the two piece one goes down into the wheel well (like this):

newcai.jpg

and the one-piece is a short ran air intake (like this):

NewBay1.jpg

what are the advantages/disadvantages of each type?

xluben

Reaction score
haha, i just realized the actual descriptions of the products say "short ram intake" and "cold air intake" :)

and i found this thread:

http://www.6thgenaccord.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1836

as well as this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cold_air_intake

this is my understanding:

CAI: slightly greater performance increase due to colder air being drawn in, danger of hydrolock in very wet conditions

SRI: slightly lower performance increase due to warm air from engine bay being drawn in, no chance of water getting into the system

living in MN (snow) i think i'll just go with the short ram intake (also install will be easier).

what do you think? good choice? is the one on ebay (that i linked to) a decent one?

wesmac

Reaction score
I have a cold air for sale, Ill give you a really good price on it, its still new.! pm me if your interested, its sitting in my closet.

FallenAngelHIM

Reaction score
chances of water being drafted into a cold air intake depends on a couple of factors. first, how low does the pipe go. some CAIs pipe does NOT extend to the wheel area of the body, it is much higher up than that. there are some CAI pipes that just go below the battery engine firewall but not low enough for water to be drafted UNLESS there is a severe flood. the second factor for water being drafted by a CAI also depends on how low your car sits. a car dropped 2 inches obviously has a greater risk than a car not dropped.

SRI has the myth about not drafting enough power or being weak and pointless. some of these are true and some are not. once again, the main factor depends on the pipe length and bends. if the pipe bends are long enough and far away enough from the actual crankcase area, where heat is generally dissipated, then you will not draft enough warm air to hinder performance. if you go with cheap eBay brands that are just a short pipe that lands the fitler directly next to the crankcase, you are drafting in a lot more warm air. so, sometimes, buying brand name that's been through R&D pays because they design the pipe to hide next to the battery where it is the least warmest possible.

either way, you are drafting more air with any type of intake. so both will yield positive gains, unless you use some weird one that sits in front of your exhaust manifold.

FallenAngelHIM

Reaction score
one other thing, the 2 piece cold air intake is convertible from short ram to cold air and vice versa. that's advantageous because you have remove the cold air pipe when it's the rainy season and reattach it during the summer. you get the best of both worlds without the hassle of removing the entire intake or risking water being drafted into the engine.

xluben

Reaction score
FallenAngelHIM said:
chances of water being drafted into a cold air intake depends on a couple of factors. first, how low does the pipe go. some CAIs pipe does NOT extend to the wheel area of the body, it is much higher up than that. there are some CAI pipes that just go below the battery engine firewall but not low enough for water to be drafted UNLESS there is a severe flood. the second factor for water being drafted by a CAI also depends on how low your car sits. a car dropped 2 inches obviously has a greater risk than a car not dropped.

SRI has the myth about not drafting enough power or being weak and pointless. some of these are true and some are not. once again, the main factor depends on the pipe length and bends. if the pipe bends are long enough and far away enough from the actual crankcase area, where heat is generally dissipated, then you will not draft enough warm air to hinder performance. if you go with cheap eBay brands that are just a short pipe that lands the fitler directly next to the crankcase, you are drafting in a lot more warm air. so, sometimes, buying brand name that's been through R&D pays because they design the pipe to hide next to the battery where it is the least warmest possible.

either way, you are drafting more air with any type of intake. so both will yield positive gains, unless you use some weird one that sits in front of your exhaust manifold.
the ebay SRI i'm looking at puts the filter right next to the battery (facing towards the front of the car).

(like the second pic i posted above)

FallenAngelHIM said:
one other thing, the 2 piece cold air intake is convertible from short ram to cold air and vice versa. that's advantageous because you have remove the cold air pipe when it's the rainy season and reattach it during the summer. you get the best of both worlds without the hassle of removing the entire intake or risking water being drafted into the engine.

good point.

the ebay SRI has the extra 90 degree bend, so the filter points towards the front of the car. like this:

NewBay1.jpg

the ebay CAI (without the extra piece) points the filter towards the side of the car. like this:

DSC00337.JPG

is this going is an issue?

since they are very similarly priced, should i just go with the CAI to give myself the option of both configurations?

or should i just go with the SRI and stick with it (also due to the extra length vs. the CAI wo/the extension)?

Last edited:
Back