any way to fix ABS plastic? (dents) PICS

Jxi8s2k

Reaction score
sorry for posting so much crap about my mugen stuff. i know this is the 3rd post pertaining to them, but i'm just getting really pissed off at this point. i ordered a lip kit from this company. they gave me a good deal, but they are a bitch to work with. not only did they send my stuff through USPS (which is slow as ****), but they sent it as two different packages. i recieved only my sideskirts.

when i got my sideskirts today, i saw that there were alot, and i mean ALOT of dents in the side skirts. the material is made of ABS plastic and i was wondering if there was a way to get them out. i've heard that with poly urethane, you could leave it out in the sun or heat them up very slowly and it would go back to its original shape. is this true with ABS too?

Last edited:

dynasty

Reaction score
you have to use body filler. i use bondo-glass (bondo filler mixed with fiber glass together) to repair my front bumper cover which is urethane. i never tried bondo-glass on ABS plastic before but you can give it a try to see if it'll work. for sideskirts, i would paint it myself too because i'm cheap. LOL.

Jxi8s2k

Reaction score
here let me show you how it looks. i was thinking about painting the whole kit myself, but i'm afraid to **** it up.

DSC00868-1.jpg

dynasty

Reaction score
yeah. i'm sure bondo-glass will work. this is what you should get. this is more than enough. this is how you work with bondo. if you're using a little bondo, just put the substances on a flat cardboard piece, but in this case, i would use a plastic bowl. put however you want onto the bowl and put the hardner cream on it. do not put too little or else the bondo will not dry. if you put too much, your sideskirt, in this case, will start cracking into small pieces. after that, just mix it and you have approx. less than 5 minutes before it gets hard. and trust me, it'll harden up really quick. do some small practice and i'm sure you can do it. :thumbsup:

272.jpg

Jxi8s2k

Reaction score
damn man...i would trust you with it, but i don't really trust myself with all that. also...i don't know how that would work because the sideskirt has like dents and it also pops out. would i have to do to the parts that pop out? you know what...i might just call the company up on monday and tell them to give me new parts.

dynasty

Reaction score
well, here's some options you should do.
1. get a new part from the company and declare it was damage during shipping
2. bring it to an auto repair shop to get it fix. most likely, they will bondo it for you.
3. DIY FTW! this way, it's cheaper plus you'll know what to do next time.

Jxi8s2k

Reaction score
damn man i wish i had as much confidence as you to work on stuff like this. i'm just too worried that i'll **** it up even more than it already is. you get what i'm saying?

Jxi8s2k

Reaction score
you did some real nice work man. i give you madd props. i see what you're telling me, but how would i go about doing the bondo method when i have dents AND parts of the plastic that pop OUT. you know what i'm saying? like...would i have to pop them in first so i could fill them? i don't understand how you would fill a outward-lump.

dynasty

Reaction score
yes, just pop out all the dents as much as you can then bondo it. that's how auto shops done it to my friend's civic.

Back