simple and effective way to increase midbass response

ryon527

Reaction score
http://g35driver.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98600&highlight=stereo

for 6thgens buy the metra cup from pep boys. Its a plastic piece that is meant for 5 1/4 and 6 1/2 speakers. Then you cut out the back and put a thick felt on the back of it. He uses a carpet with no backing. I haven't tried this yet but I will in march probably.

His reasoning on how this works

"the main problem with the stock door location is that its free air, like subs, midbass speakers can produce a lot cleaner lower frequencys by having some kind of enclosure, where as when the speaker cone moves, the air behind it provide some kine of pressured cushioning, giving hte speaker more control over its movement, thus more defined, tighter midbass.

thick carpeted bottom. the reason why i dont go fully sealed is that i have always found when there is a semi-permiable membrane on the enclosure for the speaker to breath through, it creates less of a build up in the 100-200 hz range while sacrificing little interms of midbass. think of it as a poor mans AP vent "

talontsiawd

Reaction score
Nice, my infinities have terrible mid bass. I was thinking about an enclosure, probably a ported one. My studio moniters have a 5 in driver and can get in to the 50 hrz range. But that's way over my head so i never really looked into it. This is a similar idea that i'm sure will work. With my speakers, i don't know if i'll see enough difference but it's worth a try.

talontsiawd

Reaction score
I actually tried it and it actually did the opposite. It ended up giving good high mids. I used vinyl though, that might of been the problem, too sealed. But, i made a small hole and it's defineatly better than before.I need to pull it out and try some different material on back.

ryon527

Reaction score
talontsiawd said:
I actually tried it and it actually did the opposite. It ended up giving good high mids. I used vinyl though, that might of been the problem, too sealed. But, i made a small hole and it's defineatly better than before.I need to pull it out and try some different material on back.

I'm going to try a thick felt. I emailed him about it and he said he uses a non backed carpeting. I cut the back completely off of the plastic metra speaker cup hopefully this will work.

Back