straight pipe or no?

jdmaccord6

Reaction score
I just picked up a pair of Cl-s mufflers for my I4 some i'm going to need a custom exhaust set up for them to work on my sedan. The question i had was should i just have a straight pipe from the cat back to the mufflers or should i use the existing premuffler/ resonator thingy on my oem exhaust put on as well. I have had a greddy sp cat-back before and that resonated like a mo-fo so i don't want that again but i do want a slightly louder sound from the oem set up. Anyone hear have any suggestions?

Sonnick

Reaction score
jdmaccord6 said:
I just picked up a pair of Cl-s mufflers for my I4 some i'm going to need a custom exhaust set up for them to work on my sedan. The question i had was should i just have a straight pipe from the cat back to the mufflers or should i use the existing premuffler/ resonator thingy on my oem exhaust put on as well. I have had a greddy sp cat-back before and that resonated like a mo-fo so i don't want that again but i do want a slightly louder sound from the oem set up. Anyone hear have any suggestions?
If you have straight pipes after the cat it will be loud and sound like donkey poo. I wouldn't suggest it. With the mufflers it will be slightly louder than OEM, but probably not much with stock piping. Resonator ftw :thumbsup:

jdmaccord6

Reaction score
so should i keep the stock piping and everything but just get a y-pipe added to use the mufflers? I wanted to get maybe 2.25" piping to the y-pipe and then have it split to 2" piping to each muffler. should i just buy another bigger resonator or have them use the stock one i have now.

cronic2geeze

Reaction score
I thought having the dual muffler setup on the I4 was a bad thing to do. Not enough back pressure for the motor and you would loose torque? But, I could be wrong.... Just add a bigger resonator if you want, or add a second one for it to sound louder..... the stock one alone would probably make it sound the same.....

BlkCurrantKord

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Do 2" piping and pick up some round or oval resonators, the longer the resonator, the quieter it'll be.

DarkSideAccord

nadeshiko fobz ftw..
Reaction score
cronic2geeze said:
I thought having the dual muffler setup on the I4 was a bad thing to do. Not enough back pressure for the motor and you would loose torque? ..

u're right... as for what's inside a resonator, god knows... prob something to mess with the airflow and such

shavedaccord

Reaction score
FallenAngelHIM said:
what is inside of a resonator exactly that keeps the sound quiet?
Basically a smaller version of a muffler with I believe fiberglass? or another material stuffed in it's walls..kind of like a glass pack pretty much.

Quicksilvercord

Reaction score
shavedaccord said:
Basically a smaller version of a muffler with I believe fiberglass? or another material stuffed in it's walls..kind of like a glass pack pretty much.

I think your pretty much right.

johnnydinh701

Reaction score
Back