Anyone own a paint gun?

talontsiawd

Reaction score
Ok, so i priced it out and the money i pay for color matched spraypaint for various projects really isn't worth the money compared to the real deal. But i was wondering if anyone here actually has experience with this stuff. I found many websites that recommend a particular gun for $50, assuming you don't want impecable results. And my local auto body store has a special for about $100 on a supposadly great gun.

Anyway, if you do paint, let me know if that sounds right. Secondly, how long did it take you to get the skill down. I've read a decent amount on the net and have a few books on this. I plan on practicing before (obviously) and doing small stuff. Eventually i want to paint my old jaguar. I've just seen so many budget paint jobs come out so wrong, i'm wondering if i should just stick to spray cans.

shavedaccord

Reaction score
Well, the gun doesn't play a big as roll as you might think. You don't need a $200+ gun for a good paint job. Prep is what your main concern should be. I've seen some amazing flawless paint jobs come from budget $50-$100 guns..but like I said it was because of the prep. What kind of compressor do you have in mind? Also I'm sure you looked into SATA guns?

talontsiawd

Reaction score
I've been mostly researching things like the basic process or painting, how to use reducers, flex additives, etc. And basic painting procedures. I know prep work is the main part.

As for actual products, i'm going off recommendation, i have a list somewhere, not infront of me. I really just want to know how it was if any of the people on the board have tried painting themselves. What was hard, what a big learning experience, etc.

Back