DIY Clutch Pedal Freeplay Adjustment.

Pat

Reaction score
Okay all, I have searched this form and found basic info on this. It didn't answer my questions, so I'm doing a DIY.
Here are the two threads that touch on this already

http://http://www.6thgenaccord.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37875&highlight=clutch+pedal+adjustment

http://http://www.6thgenaccord.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20293&highlight=clutch+pedal+adjustment

Basically, the issue I was having, was that these told you what to do, but the How-to part didn't work for me.

Here is what I needed...
13mm open ended wrench
Vice-Grips
Light

Note* There is an "eric the car guy youtube video that shows a master cylinder replacement in a CL 2.3L. He says the stop nut is a 12mm. Mine was a 13mm.

Note* if your clutch engagement is too high, meaning you barely press the pedal and its engaging, you could be wearing your clutch pre-maturely. This is because the clutch is slightly engaged while driving in gear. Also, if you adjust the clutch too low off the floor to engage, you won't be able to change gears (will grind) due to a clutch that isn't fully engaged. I got mine as close to the ground as possible with it still shifting perfectly fine.

First Step:
Locate.
Get a light and get in position so you can see the mechanism behind the clutch pedal. From the firewall you will see a round groment with a gold rod sticking out that attaches to a small cylinder than attaches to the clutch pedal arm. This is the part we are adjusting.

Second Step:
Loosen Stop Nut.
Remember that gold cylinder?

See the nut on the back of it? That is the Stop Nut.
I had to crack that, and couldn't. What I did was clamped the rod with vice-grips. That stopped the rod from moving and allowed the nut to crack open.
Once the nut is loose, open it up all the way up the threads.

Third Step:
Freeplay Adjustment.
Now remove your vice grips. What you have to do is spin the rod one way or the other. This is very easy to do with fingers. What I had to do was with my spare hand, push slightly on the clutch pedal to releive some of the pressure on the rod, then it spun easier.
*What this is doing is shortening the overall length of the rod. The height or total traveling distance of the clutch pedal does not change with this. This simply changes where the clutch engages. The shorter the overall length of the rod, the closer to the floor the clutch engages. The longer the overall length of the rod, the higher the clutch engages.

Fourth Step:
Fine Tuning.
Get the pedal to where it feels like the clutch is engaging where you want it. Then sit up in the seat, and start the car. See if you can shift gears still with no problem. If so, try the clutch out (drive) to see if it is where you like it.
If it is not, futher adjust the rod overall length.
If it is the way you like it, go back and snug the Stop Nut. You won't need the vice grips for this, just snug it nicely.

Note* The top of the pedal arm hits a little switch when it is not being used. This is the safety switch that prevents the motor from starting when the clutch isn't depressed. You could remove this switch if you wanted to be able to start your car without the clutch depressed. Be careful, if it is in gear, you will jump forward :)

Last edited:

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Nice writeup, thanks for posting. Repped.

EDIT: Added to DIY Master List

Last edited:

KombatVirus

Reaction score
Awesome work dude!! Can't wait to do this when I have the spare time! I wish I could rep you again haha

Pat

Reaction score
One thing I have to add, My Cruise Control stopped working after doing this.:doh2: The reason was that the pedal switch needed to be adjusted. It is the cylinder and little plastic switch that the clutch pedal arm rests against when not being used. Simply loosen the stop nut (the one furthest from the firewall) and spin the switch assembly until the plastic piece is fully compressed when the pedal is not being used. Then tighten the stop nut. Very simple.

Back