Contest #21 - Macro (Due Dec 15th 2013)

Dinzdale40

Large Member
Reaction score
Welcome to 6GA's Twenty-First Official Photography Contest.
Please read the following post in its entirety as it contains all the information you will need regarding this contest. By submitting a photograph you agree to the rules listed below.​

THEME: Macro

The theme is about showing the detail in things. Macro photography has to deal with magnification of the subject. To accomplish this many photographers use special lenses that are setup to be able to focus at close distances. Most all cameras have this functionality including point and shoots. For many dslr lenses you may also take lenses that are not made for it specifically and gain macro style focus ability via extension tubes. These cause your lens to usually lose the ability to focus to infinity meaning the limits of focus may change from (8" to infinity) to (1"-5"). Please ask questions here or contact me via email/PM if you need help. I'm no expert but have some experience with several techniques.

RULES OF THE CONTEST:

* Your photograph cannot exceed 1000 pixels in either height or width.
* Signatures, name, initials & watermarks are discouraged on your photograph.
* You cannot discuss the subject of your photograph in this thread.
* You may only enter one photograph. So be certain the one you submit is the one you want.
* Post processing will be allowed. All work must be your own if doing a composite. (PM me if you aren't sure)
* Please do not vote if you enter the contest. Votes for yourself will not count in the event of a tie.
* You may not enter a picture of an car as a subject. (PM me if you aren't sure)

HOW TO SUBMIT YOUR PHOTOGRAPH:

1. Email your photograph to: [email protected]
2. Put in the subject line: 6GA Photo contest '13 - Macro + YOUR USERNAME

THE DEADLINE:
Your entry MUST be received by the end of December 15th 2013. Any entry dated after December 15th will be rejected.

THE VOTING:
Voting will begin soon after the deadline and last 7 days.

If you have ANY questions regarding this contest please post in this thread.

Last edited:

Dinzdale40

Large Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to share a pic of my macro rig and some basics for people who have never done macro before. I’m using my 24-105L at 105mm along with some Kenko extension tubes. Sometimes I use it on tripod, but also use the flash and hand hold a lot of shots. I usually set my focus based on how close I want to get and then focus by moving the camera back and forth. Live view is nice to have too since you can zoom in 10x and focus.

image_zps16e3fb5b.jpeg

Also, here are some ways that you can cheaply set your cameras up for macro. If you have a 50mm prime you should definitely look into this.

Sketch o5

Señor Greengo
Reaction score
you think there's any way to do a macro type shot without those tubes or a macro lens? i think you might've mentioned something to me once, but i can't remember haha. all i've got is my 10-22 and 18-135.

00Accord4cyl

The Orange Skittle
Reaction score
Do you have an adapter for the lens or can you get it to focus close up? I don't think my 80-200 could tack a macro

DarkSideAccord

nadeshiko fobz ftw..
Reaction score
none of my lenses can do a proper macro shot... once i zoom in too much, i lose focus.... :thinking:

Dinzdale40

Large Member
Reaction score
Do you have an adapter for the lens or can you get it to focus close up? I don't think my 80-200 could tack a macro

i have adaptors to enable it to focus close up. if you look at the pic i posted above you can see them if you look close.

none of my lenses can do a proper macro shot... once i zoom in too much, i lose focus.... :thinking:

what cam/lens are you using?

Back