Amp noise

Sinful

Reaction score
Hey, does anyone know how to fix this problem.. I THINK its my amp that is making the noise. Everytime i press the gas, it makes a really annoying squealing sound.. thanks.. :)

xluben

Reaction score
that is alternator whine.

you need to re-check grounds. ground everything to the same point, etc.

dynasty

Reaction score
my amp makes noise also but it's the fan that's running inside the amp.

xluben

Reaction score
if the noise increases with rpm's then i'm 99% sure it's alt whine.

i had it when i left a remote turn on lead disconnected, but bad grounding will also cause it.

as will running power wire and signal wire in close proximity.

power should be on one side of the car, and signal on the other.

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
noise is not necessarily alternator whine...my buddy had an amp in his truck and it would make noises whenever the engine sped up. stuck a different amp in there and solved the problem.

im curious to know where its grounded as well...

Sinful

Reaction score
yeah the noise increases with the RPMs. Its an Alpine amp, and my uncle had it professionally (supposedly) installed, but it really does look professionally installed and its very clean. I'll check where its grounded to tomorrow; Too lazy to go outside right now.

shavedaccord

Reaction score
ryan s said:
noise is not necessarily alternator whine...my buddy had an amp in his truck and it would make noises whenever the engine sped up. stuck a different amp in there and solved the problem.

im curious to know where its grounded as well...
That whine could really come from serveral things..headunit, RCA's..amp..grounds..simple check list my buddy gave me about 3 years ago. if the reground doesn't help try the below..you should also turn the system off in between these steps!

1) yank the RCA's from the amps end, does the noise stop? if it does it's the amp.

if not try the next one..

2) yank the RCA's from the headunit but leave them plugged in at the amp, does the noise stop? if it does it's the RCA's

if not try the next one..

3) plug the RCA's back into the headunit & amp, did the noise stop? if not it's the head unit.

pretty much the same check list you'll find on most major audio forums. If all else fails your stuck with a line filter to knock out the whine.

Back