KTHUNG's 99 LX Sedan

kthung

Reaction score
Copy/Paste from my Introduce Yourself:
So a little about my ride: It is a 1999 Accord LX Sedan. I learned how to drive on this car when I got my license and drove it all throughout HS and college. Yeah its a auto, i4, beige (literally), boring-mobile and I always planned on getting something a little more exciting and fun to drive after graduation but honestly this thing has been rock. solid. One problem in the last 9 years was needing to replace the plugs distributor cap and rotor. So the plan now is to drive it till it dies (which is going to be a long time) meanwhile saving money for a new ride. Only 160k on the clock and I'm planning on learning how to pretty much take everything apart and put it together.

Plans for the car. Strictly A2B car. No performance mods. Functional mods only. Mainly things on the interior to make it more comfortable/enjoyable to drive. After all dumping a bunch of money into this car would just look silly. Also I plan on doing 100% maintenance/repairs myself. I have zero experience but I'm an engineer and think I can learn pretty easily.

1999 Heather Mist Metallic Accord LX
Daily Driver
156k Miles
I4 Auto

Done so far:
2001 OEM Accord 15" Alloys (PN: #08W15-S84-100G)
General maintenance: Oil changes, engine/cabin air filters
Headlight/taillight bulbs
Gauge Cluster LEDs
Dome light LED upgrade
Reconditioning interior
Replace Windshield Wiper Transmission Linkage
Repaint side view mirrors (paint is chipping off)
Color match door bumpers
Retros: Blackhoused, TSX Projectors/E46 Shrouds, Denso Ballasts, Yellow Highbeams (Courtesy of BoyWonder)
ATF drain and fill
TL-S Steering wheel

To do:
Replace rear power lock actuators (they don't always work, only sometimes)
Touch up bumper paint etc.
Replace hood release cable (gets stuck open sometimes)
Basically fixing everything that breaks
Prelude AT Shifter
Keyless entry? maybe.

I'll try and get as many pics of the work I do up either here or in a dedicated DIY.

The Damage: $810
2001 OEM Accord 15" Alloys - $190
Interior Lights/LEDs - $30
Wiper Arms and Transmission - $30
Prelude Shifter - $40
TL-S Steering Wheel - $35
Primer/Paints/Clear Coats - $15
Power Lock Actuators - $11
Engine Splash Shield - $24
Fenders and Clips - $50
Retros - $320
Black OEM Carpet Floor Mats - $65

Working on your own damn car - Priceless.

4/9/14
Yeah that bumper could use some TLC
IMGP2646-2_zpsd4437def.jpg

IMGP2647-2_zps99fe5523.jpg

IMGP2649-2_zpsc298fc5b.jpg

04/18/14 Side Door Bumpers Painted and Retro's Installed
2ff826fd-fcea-47fd-957c-896651996012_zpse600dd9b.jpg

IMGP2665-2_zps45e90a8e.jpg

Last edited:

Gmoney

Reaction score
I wouldn't call dumping a lot of money into it silly just a hobby that gets addicting lol idk 6th gens have so much potential..but nice car bro it'll last you a few more years

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kthung

Reaction score
I wouldn't call dumping a lot of money into it silly just a hobby that gets addicting lol idk 6th gens have so much potential..but nice car bro it'll last you a few more years

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks! It's not silly if you plan on keeping the car for indefinitely. My goal is to keep this as long as it'll run (I know it will be a while) while putting aside money for a new car. Dropping a few G's on mods and upgrades directly goes against that goal. For those that are really passionate about 6th gens and want to do MT swaps or are building show cars that's absolutely fine and I respect that. But for me this is just my DD and just a platform for me to build my mechanical know-how while saving money. If I had a really good condition V6 MT coupe it'd be a different story, but to me a base model AT sedan isn't worth pumping a lot of money into (but again for some it might be) YMMV.

Last edited:

danmccormick87

Reaction score
Very clean and classy ride! I understand your efforts to maintain a daily, and you will find the forum has alot of useful information on helping keep the daily up and running, along with helpful members and supportive staff. Digging your factory rims also! :headbang:

kthung

Reaction score
Very clean and classy ride! I understand your efforts to maintain a daily, and you will find the forum has alot of useful information on helping keep the daily up and running, along with helpful members and supportive staff. Digging your factory rims also! :headbang:

Thanks! Lucky find on the Bay. They're like "mini TL" rims :cheers:

danmccormick87

Reaction score
Gotta love eBay! And now that you mention it, they do resemble the TL rims. I know you aren't wanting to mod your car too much, but might I suggest the Eibach Pro Springs. It'd be a good replacement for your worn, factory springs, lower your car some, would really make your awesome rims pop, and give it a unique look. :happy160: Regardless though, still digging how clean and in great shape your ride is!

Gmoney

Reaction score
Gotta love eBay! And now that you mention it, they do resemble the TL rims. I know you aren't wanting to mod your car too much, but might I suggest the Eibach Pro Springs. It'd be a good replacement for your worn, factory springs, lower your car some, would really make your awesome rims pop, and give it a unique look. :happy160: Regardless though, still digging how clean and in great shape your ride is!

Don't want to put too much stress on the struts..but now that u guys pointed it out they do look a lil like tl wheels =O

kthung

Reaction score

:hmmm2:
WAIT NO. DON'T TEMPT ME.
I agree it would look much better but the other mods/repairs come first. Would I lose a lot of money if I bought a set and parted them out later on if I decided to sell the car stock?

kthung

Reaction score
Don't want to put too much stress on the struts..but now that u guys pointed it out they do look a lil like tl wheels =O

Yeah I'm really happy with the look AND I didn't have to do a 5 lug conversion. :boink:

danmccormick87

Reaction score
:hmmm2:
WAIT NO. DON'T TEMPT ME.
I agree it would look much better but the other mods/repairs come first. Would I lose a lot of money if I bought a set and parted them out later on if I decided to sell the car stock?

Not terribly, you can easily fetch half if not more for them. And not tempting, just suggesting :boink: Clickly HERE Not badly priced either...

Back