Jpocolypse's 2002 Accord Coupe EX F23A1 5MT (56K)

Jpocolypse

Reaction score
This is my second 6GA the first being a 98 that this will soon replace. It’s a 2002 EX Coupe with an F23A1 and a 5 speed transmission.

This is it about 5 minutes after driving it back from Columbus and about 5 minutes before my mom would tell me that I bought a piece of junk.

The car only had 133,000 miles on it and only cost me $3000. I noticed the car was idling a little bit rough at the dealership but other than that it seemed to run ok. It also had a few other problems like the ABS and cruise not working. The car also suffered from having an owner that didn’t give it the TLC it deserves. The car has been repainted with spray paint where the clear coat was peeling and it wasn’t repaired properly after having a fender bender in 2004. The hood did not line up at all and I had to reposition the latch and rubber bumpers to get it to line up with the fenders but there’s a big gap between the hood and bumper.

Not really mods but parts I've swapped over from my 98 or replaced:
Bumper (not the plastic cover) old one was rusty and twisted from the wreck - pulled from old car
Headlight brackets - old car
fancy headlights - old car
fuel pump - new
spark plug wires - from old car but were brand new
battery - from old car but was new
Fuel pressure regulator - pulled from old car for testing but not worth the hassle of switching them back
Strut tower brace thingies - old car (slightly less surface rust on them)
Battery holder - old car
Led compatible flasher relay - new
interior leds - old car
Switchbacks - new
radiator cap - new (one of those cheap ones with the stupid lever thing)
hood prop holder thing - new

Current mods:
Interior:
Gauge Cluster LEDS
Almost all interior lights have been replaced with white LEDs
Replaced front door speakers and back speakers
Added 2 10" Subs
Added Pioneer head unit

Engine bay:
Intake baffle delete
Painted bits of metal that were starting to rust (mostly brackets and other stuff hidden behind the bumper)

Exterior:
Retrofitted headlights with HID projectors (Morimoto clones)
Switch Back turn signals

Disabled DRL on top half of triangle tail lights (I have since reverted back to having them lit)

Future mods and to dos:
Align hood/fenders/bumper - Fixed
Get OEM spoiler
Paint rims gun metal
Pull dents and have car painted
Paint valve cover red
Retrofit factory headlights with projectors and led strips
Replace Factory Head Unit
Replace or fix driver side door panel (arm rest feels like its shattered)

Finish retrofit (still need to connect the flipper thing in the projectors and wire up the switchback LED tubes I put along the bottom)

6/24/16 Progress update:
I finally figured out what was going on with the car and why it kept leaving me stranded. The distributor I pulled from the other car took a puke on me while I was troubleshooting a different problem, so I put the original back in and it's been running great. Except it lacks power because the cat is clogging up. Also my clutch pedal sometimes sticks to the floor, but the clutch is still grabbing. When this happens I'm able to pull the pedal back up and use it again. My mechanic says it sounds like a failing master cylinder. When I get a chance I will probably be ordering a replacement from Exedy. I'll try to keep you guys more up to date in the future but I've had a busy summer with changing jobs and fixing up/moving into my new home.

10/25/16 A Bitter Sweet Update:
I have many fond memories with my old 98 Accord, but unfortunately it's time for it to go and be enjoyed by somebody else. To everyone but myself it was just another car (my mom usually referred to it as the A-Crud). To me it was everything but just another car. It was like a big mechanical friend. I took care of it and it took care of me. It was there for me even when it seemed like nobody else was. When I couldn't handle the stresses that life was throwing at me I would just hop in and go for a drive. I never had a destination, but it always got me there and somehow managed to calm me down at which point I would return home. While I may not have the car as a whole much longer I will still have the bits and pieces that I swapped over to the new car living under my hood.

My 2002 Accord (Left) and My 1998 Accord (Right)

Log:
2/2/2016 Bought car
2/2/2016 bought wiper blades
2/4/2016 Seafoam in oil and gas tank
2/6/2016 changed oil
2/8/2016 changed clutch hydraulic fluid
2/19/2016 cleaned throttle body and replaced gasket
2/20/2016 replaced MAP sensor
2/20/2016 cleaned IACV
2/20/2016 Installed halo headlights from other car
4/18/2016 Got License Plates and bolts for front
4/19/2016 Bought clips and bolts for rear plate
4/23/2016 Replaced Spark plugs
6/18/2016 Cleared Blockage from EGR Valve causing the rough idle
7/4/2016 Replaced fuel pump
7/6/2016 Swapped bumper and other bits from old car to new car.
7/6/2016 JB welded drivers armrest back together (plastic under fabric was shattered)
7/6/2016 sanded and painted rusty bits in front end
7/9/2016 Realigned hood and left fender
?/?/2016 Replaced fuel filter
?/?/2016 Replaced distributor
10/3/2016 Replaced clutch master cylinder
10/23/2016 Resoldered master relay
10/24/2016 Welded seat bracket back together
12/5/2016 Had clutch and rear main seal replaced
1/4/2017 retrofitted headlights with Morimoto clones and installed them in the car.

Other Photos:

The morning after I bought the car before I tore the front end apart.

After I tore the front end apart to fix the rusty bits

Throttle body before cleaning

Last edited:

604ACCORD

Reaction score
It's coming along. Nice start my mom always told me my cars were junk lol. Parents ever understand and honestly accord has been the most reliable car I have owned.

LeAnn777

Reaction score
The headlights look awesome! I also have a black 02 accord ex. It's automatic though. It looks great. Cant wait for pics of completed project!

Jpocolypse

Reaction score
Thanks. I'm hoping to get my 98 accord sold here soon (the car on the right in the first post). Once that's gone I should have some money to put into the 02 and get it working better.

Back