Moving to front speakers only, accouple of questions

talontsiawd

Reaction score
Ok, so my left rear input on my amp is done, i don't know what happened. I actually like a bit of rear fill but whatever. Anyway, my question is, when i take my old speakers out, do i need to put the stock ones back in, or some kind of block off plate? I know a trunk isn't a totally sealed environment but i figure 2 big *** holes makes it far less. Or can i just leave them out. I don't know how much it matters since the speakers still move off so i don't know. I want my old ones out to probably sell but i don't want to go looking for my stock ones. Just wondering....

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
its up to you...do you have subs at all? otherwise, it doesnt really matter either way. you might as well put them in and leave them disconnected if it makes you feel better :thumbsup:

talontsiawd

Reaction score
Yeah, i got two infinity kappa 10's. I was just wondering if two gaping holes made a difference (i've only had a system in a hatch before this).

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
free bass ports :rock:

i had one speaker out for a while but didnt listen for a difference. when i put my comps in the front next week, ill take the rears out. i cant even hear them when i turn my head so whatever...

shavedaccord

Reaction score
leave em open..if you ever noticed your system sounds better/louder when the back seat is down..so them holes might actually help unless you have some sort of insane air movement then you'll get howling/droning from the holes lol

talontsiawd

Reaction score
Totalimmortal said:
Audio is so subjective, it's going to be more up to your ears than a massly accepted answer.
Yeah, i usually like to know what is "normal" That doesn't mean i'll go with it. Pretty much every audiophile has told me to only use front speakers because of soundstage. But i like rear speakers more, not enough to buy/fix an amp. I can't remember the last time i heard a band played in a tiny room shaped like my car, i don't take the sound stage arguement to heart.

But i figured i'd ask cause the rear speakers are a bitch and 2/3rds. I'll try it with them out when i get a chance, see what's up.

xluben

Reaction score
i def. like just the fronts better. i hate feeling like the sound is coming from behind me.

if you're not using the rear ones, take em out!

especially if you have subs. and if you can flip down the seats that will help the bass as well.

i also threw in some of these:

http://www.able-audio.com/shop/prod...id=28&osCsid=c6dc9305d3f7ba686df5220b80cec2bc

arings.jpg

to help aim the sound a bit more upwards (and i'm too cheap/lazy to buy/make real kick pods)

but without my subs i don't even put my faceplate on any more :(

i've probably had it in once or twice in the last month :huh:

talontsiawd

Reaction score
Damn, where do you guys roll where you can keep your seats down (subs exposed). Everytime i see that, i think, dude is getting jacked in the near future lol

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
hell yeah, i wont even leave the arm rest and pass-thru down...

the soundstage argument stems from 3 things (in my mind):
1. speakers sound best at ear-level
2. they sound best when on-axis (at least 97% do)
3. the more direct the path to your ears, less power is needed and less distortion is encountered

now, with the stock tweeters up by the windshield, the sound comes like its coming from the vents. since most of us dont want to mold a comp set in our a-pillars, this is about as high as the stage gets. remember, sound sounds best when it hits you straight-on.

reason i hate rear speakers (especially 6x9s) is twofold:
1. the "empty space" between your mids and lows, certain lower frequencies CAN be played by the 6x9s which are too high for the subs. this draws the sound to the rear, BUT only at those frequencies :mad: we want the sound up front...
2. without some kind of baffle, your 6x9s are at the mercy of the pressures in the trunk...talking about the subs. the rammstein song "Feuer Frei!" illustrates this perfectly. the speakers dont go back to their resting, unloaded point because of the pressure. its a hard rock song, so all the speakers are working at the same time.

this post is longer than i thought :p

Back