oil leak

dave123

Reaction score
I discovered a small oil drip on the passenger side of the front of the car its a 3.0 v6 vetch engine. It does not appear to be coming from the drain plug, but rather from the oil sender (vtech solenoid) area. I hope it is a simple replacement of the sender that I hear leaks often, the car has 122K miles on it, any ideas what this may be?
Thanks in advance for any info

Nam1911a1

Reaction score
I discovered a small oil drip on the passenger side of the front of the car its a 3.0 v6 vetch engine. It does not appear to be coming from the drain plug, but rather from the oil sender (vtech solenoid) area. I hope it is a simple replacement of the sender that I hear leaks often, the car has 122K miles on it, any ideas what this may be?
Thanks in advance for any info

My cousins 2000 coupe does the same thing. His seems to be the valve cover gasket.

Eclipse99fwb

Reaction score
More than likely you need to replace the vtec solenoid gasket, oem gaskets are cheap online. Before wasting any money clean the area off with some carb cleaner and keep checking it until you know for sure its the vtec solenoid. As mentioned above the valve cover gasket could be leaking down on to it. Good luck let me know if you need anything else.

Last edited:

Connie

Reaction score
Valve cover gasket is more likely; my 02 does the same thing, after cleaning and rechecking it was obviously the valve cover gasket, so do what Eclipse99fwb said before you start throwing parts at it.

FWIW, I found the leak two years ago and still haven't bothered fixing it. Between 8000km oil changes of 5w20, I'm barely losing half a quart. And at 491k km, it's probably not worth fixing at all anymore lol.

Rusty Accord

Reaction score
Valve cover gasket is more likely; my 02 does the same thing, after cleaning and rechecking it was obviously the valve cover gasket, so do what Eclipse99fwb said before you start throwing parts at it.

FWIW, I found the leak two years ago and still haven't bothered fixing it. Between 8000km oil changes of 5w20, I'm barely losing half a quart. And at 491k km, it's probably not worth fixing at all anymore lol.

You know, if you keep putting those kind of miles on that car, you're going to need to find a replacement.
:rotflmao:

dave123

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply-I am going to replace both gaskets on the solenoid-however I can't get to it -do you have any methods of attack-(how do I get to it to get it off the engine?)

Eclipse99fwb

Reaction score
It has been awhile since i had to replace one so i dont remember step by step. What year is your accord i will look on alldata tomorrow and let you know.

Eclipse99fwb

Reaction score
Have tried removing the passenger fender liner to gain access to the filter area? I will look up tomorrow hopefully i can get a idea. Unfortunately currently no j30s in the shop for me to look at and i have f23 so no help.

Last edited:

Eclipse99fwb

Reaction score
Just looked i couldnt find a step by step but if you lift your passenger front and remove the wheel, remove the side cover its two 10mm bolts. This will expose the oil filter housing with the vtec solenoid is attached. Unplug the solenoid, than should be just 3 bolts holding the filter housing to the block. How easy they are to access i cant remember, but try ratching wrenches or combination of swivel fittings and extensions. When you remove the filter housing use to your finger to push on the valve in it to assure it is not seized. Good luck let me know if you need anything else. Hope this helps

Back